FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling alone and made a big mistake moving here

Big_mistakes
Community Member
Hi, I'm new here. I've just moved interstate and feeling alone more than ever. Not supported and feel as though I've made a huge mistake. Thoughts of taking my life keep swirling around my head. I'm doing and trying my best but just not good enough.
3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Hey Big mistakes, welcome to the forums. We know it can be tough to post for the first time and it sounds like it must have been really difficult for you to write this, so thank you for having the bravery to do so. It sounds like you have been coping with these dark thoughts for quite some time on your own, but we want you to know that you don't have to go through this alone. Even when things are feeling at their darkest, please know that there is always hope, and our kind community are here to help offer as much support as you need through this time. We are also just checking in with you privately via email with some extra support.

Do you think that you'd feel comfortable opening up to your GP about how you've been feeling, or a close friend for some support? Another great step can be reaching out to the understanding counsellors at our Support Service, who are available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or also through Webchat (1pm-12am AEST) if you'd feel more comfortable talking online: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport  We would also really urge that in overwhelming moments you get in touch with our friends at Lifeline (13 11 14) or the Suicide Call Back Service (1300 659 467), who are also here for you 24/7, night day, as often as you need to talk these feelings through.

Thanks again for reaching out here and being so open and honest with your feelings. We hope that you can find some comfort here, and please feel free to continue updating us on how you're going, whenever you are ready.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello dear Big mistake...

A very warm and caring welcome to our forums...

I am so sorry that your feeling that way..

Moving anywhere is very hard especially doing it on your own....A few years after my late husband passed away..I moved into a different town and felt so lost and alone..

I have been here now for 6 years and have made friends with my neighbour and one other person...it took a couple of years for me to achieve this...but now I’m feeling more comfortable living here....

Can I ask you if you have a hobby or something that you like doing...and if you have..maybe you could search google or check through your local phone book or your local paper to see if their are clubs that have the same interests or hobbies you do....

Big mistake...If it okay I’ll call you BM..as you are definitely not a big mistake....

Please BM...those thoughts swirling around in your head..are just that..thoughts..and we not need to act on those thoughts..The resources Sophie has given you..you will find the people very caring and understanding so please if you need to talk to someone...please give them a try.....

Also you could reach out to your Dr for help....You don’t have to go through this alone....I am so pleased that you reached out here..that is a great first step and it takes courage to do that..

Please Talk here anytime you feel up to it..We are also here for you BM..and want to support you the best we can..with our insight and care..

My kindest and most caring thoughts dear BM...

Grandy..

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Welcome BM to the forum.

Sophie and Grandy have given you supportive suggestions.

moving interstate is hard. I moved from coast to mountains and after 14 months don’t know a neighbour or have a friend.
However I I do volunteer several days a week and have connected with fellow volunteers,

If you don’t have paid work volunteering is a good way to meet people and help you feel you belong to the community.

Feel free to post here as much as you like.