FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

do i tell my teacher? but it's not really an issue?

junestars
Community Member
I told myself it wasn't really self harm, maybe just some self destructive behaviours idk but I've been more and more tempted to follow through with these destructive behaviours each day and part of me started because I wanted a secret and to tell myself I was actually in some sort of pain but it's gotten addictive but it's not that bad and I would like to tell my teacher but I have no idea how and would probably also get in trouble and also don't need parents to know, you know?
7 Replies 7

Sophie_M
Hey junestars,

Welcome to our forums and thanks for sharing what you are going through here. It's not easy to do and we're very grateful that you took this brave step. Please know you are in a safe, supportive place where others will be able to provide their insight and support. We are also reaching out to you privately to offer additional support.

It sounds like you are going through a difficult time with the urge to follow through with destructive behaviours. And it also sounds like there's a teacher that you possibly feel comfortable enough with to share this. We'd strongly encourage you to reach out and get the help you deserve and need. If you are sensing that this behaviour is getting harmful for you, then we'd urge you to listen to your intuition and get the right support.

Aside from talking to your teacher and maybe GP or a mental health professional, you can always reach out to our Support Service anytime at 1300 22 4636 or our friends at Lifeline at 13 11 14. These service also have webchats available if that's what you are more comfortable. We'd also strongly encourage you to reach out to Kids Helpline which supports young people at 1800 55 1800. They also have a 24/7 webchat service at: https://kidshelpline.com.au/get-help/webchat-counselling

Talking to a qualified, caring professional will help you clarify your situation and plan the next steps.

Please keep posting here to let us know how you're doing, whenever you feel up to it.

Guest_206
Community Member

Hi there Junestars,

I just want to say firstly that it's really great that you've reached out here for support about your predicament. I would really encourage you to tell your teacher if you feel comfortable- you could write them a note and give it to them if that makes it any easier? What you're going through is not something that you can get in trouble for, but rather something that you need support for. There may be a school counsellor at your school who your teacher may connect you with, but this is a conversation you can have with your teacher who will just want to support you.

I understand how starting engaging in a behaviour can start to feel addictive. It's good that you have some insight into what is going on for you, even if you're not 100% clear about it.

Xg

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Junestar, thanks for being brave to open up to us.

What may have started as a way for you to cope can quite easily develop into a behaviour that you may not particularly want to do and there is certainly no harm or shame in telling your teacher, they will keep it a secret except to suggest you have a talk with the school counsellor who they would discuss your situation.

The counsellor may talk about the reasons for or not to tell your parents but would only do what you want at this stage.

Please we really hope you get better and hope you can feel comfortable staying with us so we can help you.

Geoff.

Not_Limited
Community Member

Hi Junestar

How are you today? Can I just say, you have made an incredibly brave step by reaching out, even on a forum, to tell a little part of your story.

Can I ask why you feel you need a secret only you know? I used to self-harm and for me, it was because I was hiding the emotional pain with a physical one.

Talking to your teacher can really help if you think they are a really nice empathetic listener you can feel safe with. Do you have a student counsellor at school you can talk to? Otherwise, we are all here to listen and offer support.

junestars
Community Member

Thanks for the replies 🙂

My other dilemma is that I've technically already graduated but I'm back at school to do my exams so I'm not quite sure if there's much point telling anyone.

Hi 🙂

I've been alright I guess. I don't even quite remember why I wanted to have a secret like that to myself and part of my still wants to keep it that way but I also feel guilty for not telling my teacher if that makes sense?

Thank you for replying.

I'm sure if it's a teacher you felt you could talk to, they would still sit and talk to you regardless if it's just end of year exams left. At anytime someone isn't doing well, telling someone you feel safe with always has a point - and that point is you. You matter, just remember that.

Do you maybe think you are keeping it a secret because you are feeling guilty about doing it? I know when I used to self-harm, I kind of didn't want anyone to know, because I felt a little ashamed of doing it. With the end of year exams does that mean you are nearly finished Grade 12? I know my daughter struggled last year with Covid and doing Grade 12. So much stress. Is this maybe what has started the destructive behaviour thoughts? You don't have to tell me, I just wanted to give you an opening if you did 🙂