FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

A six week cycle?

frankie2024
Community Member

Hi I’ve been severely depressed lately. Tried to analyse myself out of it. My therapist spoke about a six week cycle for depressive episodes and whilst it provides some hope it means I still have half of the last four weeks to try and live through. Wondering if anyone has some thoughts about this theory and ways to cope? It’s been ugly lately.  Thank you

4 Replies 4

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello and welcome.

I'm glad you're seeing a therapist and finding some explanation for the difficult cycle you've been going through. Knowing there's an end point, even if it's still weeks away, can provide a glimmer of hope. In the meantime, please be extra gentle with yourself each day.

Remind yourself this is the depression talking, not your truth. You are stronger than you feel right now. 

I hope you don't mind my asking ... what tools do you have to bring yourself back to the present moment? For example, meditation or mental health apps? Or what strategies do you have?

I cannot say that I know about a 6 week cycle, but I am also not an expert in this area.

Listening if you want to chat some more.,,

Thank you for the thoughtful and kind words and welcome. 

I’ve tried all the usual tools I have it’s been honestly scary dealing with this. I don’t feel strong right now but I’m still trying. 

i use insight timer a lot, plus skills learnt in therapy and courses. Just in the crux of the moment it tends to fly out the window. 

I reread your part about the depression talking, but I don’t know how to stop it taking over. Sorry it’s been so hard. 

thanks for being here and your response it means a lot. 

A little story about me and using apps ...

One app I use(d) is Virtual Hope Box but perhaps as far as you are concerned, just another app. There was a time when had stress level from work and I would spend those days in a library. I was not immune to needing to use the app... In some instances I went outside of the library (fresh air) to use the app, and not because of noise (there was none) but a different environment. Sometimes I would spend about 2 hours outside using the same tools until the feelings passed. 

round the same time, I also worked out that sometimes I needed something physical to play with. Somewhat more helpful - for me at least.

I guess what I am trying to say is that, and as far as I am concerned, the apps were/are not an instant fix. Sometimes it takes longer than we like or want. 

Lastly, and again, this is what worked for me, and there are plenty of other suggestions from a book (The Happiness Trap) I read by Russ Harris, but when a negative thought came into my mind, I would say "thank you" - it was a way of separating the thought from me (if that makes sense). 

Lastly I would add that because you have made it to this point, it has not taken over. I believe in you. 

Listening.

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi frankie2024

My heart goes out to you as you work so hard to make it through this period in depression. Wondering if your therapist mentioned what the cycle can look and feel like. I've found knowing how this cycle works for me doesn't necessarily make it easy to get through but it at least mean becoming familiar with the kinds of things that can take me into it, through it and out of it. I've found it becomes about learning what produces the down shifts and up shifts and the cyclic nature. Like yourself, I find I try to analyse the hell out of it all, so as to return to some resemblance of heaven on earth.

Not sure if you can relate but just say the cycle's starting point is where everything appears to be fine. Life can be good or even great. Then, as some trigger or set of triggers come into play, I can feel myself having moved out of what feels good or great. Btw, it's typically only in hindsight that I can make sense of what those triggers are. As I feel myself shift further out of 'good' or 'great', I start to feel myself in a depression. While going through an incredibly sad time, I'll try and make sense of it all, so as to stop the heartbreak and soul destroying feeling. I'll tend to become more isolated during this time of going inward, unless I have someone analysing things with me (helping me make sense of things). As some revelations can become angering, I can become angry with myself and/or others. Then, all of a sudden, some major revelation can hit that helps me make sense of the whole thing and I'm back at the start of the cycle, having risen to a high through the revelation, through having evolved to a greater level of understanding. So, the whole thing is not about cycling 'round and 'round, it's about cycling up into greater consciousness. It's a seriously tough way to evolve, that's for sure.

If you can relate to the cycle maybe being a little like this, I wonder whether you've also found that when you come back into the high part, you've brought some new aspect of yourself to life or maybe an old one that you'd missed so much. For example, if the major revelation is about fulfilling the need to no longer tolerate certain people's depressing behaviour, the intolerant boundary setter in us may come to life, as opposed to the people pleaser in us continuing to let people overstep boundaries when it comes to the questionable ways in which they may treat us. Or if the major revelation is about some part of us that we used to love and thrive through, it could involve breathing new life into it, bringing it back to life. A bit of soulful CPR. I have a vision of a defibrillator and a charge being sent to some part in us that appears to have died. Putting it back in charge (energising it) while channeling a significant amount of energy into it is the complete opposite of letting it slowly die off. Whether it relates to a part of us that is highly imaginative or a part that represents the adventurer in us or even a facet of us that is jam packed with an inspiring sense of wonder (our wonderful nature), when they come back to life, you feel them.