FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Work life balance

poss93
Community Member
Hey guys,
I am struggling to make a choice for a job change. Here are the options. All are retail.
Working for big sports brand as a store manager, 55k per year in AUS dollars. Super paid and bonus paid separate, roster is a Tuesday to Saturday roster. Free parking, more responsibility.
Second option,
Assistant store manager at 55k per year again everything else is paid separate, Sunday to Friday roster with a day off during the week and Saturday off. I will have to pay for parking which will be $25 a week. little less responsibility than previous role.
Option 3,
49-51k per year, Monday to Friday roster and also leave from 3-4pm in the afternoon. Weekends off. Parking is $50 a week. turns out to be the same if not less pay than what I am currently on. more life balance and less work stress as it is a stock role, so out the back and no customer interaction or big store decisions go to me.

Current role,
Assistant manger 45k per year, Bonus and super paid separate. I have quite a lot of responsibility so I would rather get paid more if I'm doing this much work. Free parking.

I also study and go to the gym at the end of my work shifts. I am also renting and would love to make more income to help my partner out and so we can save for a house. I do also need some extra time for my self as I get burnt out easily with everything I do. plus I have ADHD which is a strug for those who know.. you know..

what would you choose. More money and same roster or less money and more work life balance.
6 Replies 6

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Poss, having to pay for your parking is a slice out of your income and only if you're interested in either watching or going to see an AFL game, for example, may dictate your choice.

If it was my decision I'd be choosing the first option, free parking, super and bonus paid, but you have to work Saturdays and if a sport is holding you back, games are played on different days.

Parking prices are exorbitant and just as likely to rise at any stage, but if you get free parking, that doesn't matter and if the company want to keep you then a raise could easily happen.

Geoff.

Positive_vibes89
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
Dear poss93, thanks for posting on the forum. I agree with Geoff. Parking costs really do add up at the end of the week. I feel like I get robbed each time i have to pay for parking, I always think that amount of money can go towards bills or groceries for the week. I often wish I owned a parking complex, the owners make so much money out of people. Id be rich if i owned one. I definately would take the first job offer

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Poss, as Positive_vibes89 and I agree have you had any other thoughts, it would be good to hear back from you.

Geoff.

The_Bro
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

HI there Poss93

Congratulations in actually having a choice in this day and age. You obviously have much to offer being so employable!

I have worked for myself, medium chains and a very large chain. Contrary to what I though, the largest chain was the best thanks largely to my boss who was amazing. So supportive and nourishing - a rare person and great to work with. Obtained lots of bonus things for me once he saw what I could do.

If I may suggest so, go with the position that 'feels right' for you. How will you know this? Ask for another interview and ask tons of questions about your future, training, company philosophy, what you can do for the company and what the company can do for you! Good and not so good aspects of the position etc.

Before that, go to some of their stores and spend time there - what does the vibe feel like? Are you able to meet the peeps you will be working with beforehand? Ask them up front what the company is like to work for, how happy they are etc.

Try not to look only at the money, parking etc as they are rational things that can easily be fixed. Company culture on the other hand is ingrained - the way they treat their staff etc.

I hope this has helped just a little and all the very best with your decision!

The Bro.

Miz
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Poss93,

Thanks for posting - it sounds like you have some nice options, congrats! I personally always think that having a work life balance is more important - especially if you are in a relationship and sometimes struggling with mental health issues it can be so valuable to have a job that is balanced and gives you time to spend with your partner and take care of yourself!

poss93
Community Member

Hi everyone!

Thank you all so much for getting back to my thread! I have had a few more interviews and one even went for 2 hours when it was suppose to be one!!

I am very lucky to have such amazing opportunities as I know some people may be struggling with looking for work at the moment.

I have been thinking and thinking and I just cannot go with the the second option. $50 a week on parking is blowing my mind although I would have loved the job, I think I can still find joy in the first option for the amount they would like to pay me which I have been clarified is a bit more than I was firstly told. I have thought about my work life balance and I think I may just tough it out for now. I have study for one more semester then I am done! I have managed semi ok for the last two semesters and feel like I can push my self a little further. I also would like a new car and to save for a house so this pay would help me reach some important milestones for my future.

I appreciate your reply's and feed back! I hope I get option 1 and will hear back from them this week coming!

hope your all well