FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Who else likes gardening?

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone

I hope you're staying well today.

Who else likes gardening? I would love to connect with people here who are happy to share their gardening adventures.

For me I know that gardening helped heal my soul during tough times. I hope it will again.
Then with other things going on, it became a jungle.
I'm part way into rediscovering it again and doing A LOT of hard yakka atm, when I am motivated.

I have new dreams and ideas to put into the many bare places, as I remove thickets of lantana etc. This will all be on a tight budget and I'm ok with that.

I want to create a peaceful place where I can be.
I would like to grow food again (tell 'er she's dreamin' atm lol).
I would like to re-establish my worm farms and compost heaps.
Autumn is such a beautiful time of the year in the garden.

I'm 'alone' in my gardening journey and would love to share and hear about other's gardening antics. Hopefully we can troubleshoot any issues in our gardens and talk about any healing we're feeling too. There's a lot of knowledge we can share. I hope this thread can brighten your day!

Love Ecomama

Please

977 Replies 977

Lillylane
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Oooh ok someone will think of it. I know what it’s like when a plant name is on the tip of the tongue haha.

Thanks EM,
Lillylane xx

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Em sorry I am not sure what ground cover you are thinking of.Maby when I wake up properly I might think of something.
It's raining here this morning.,I can hear the sweet spatter of rain on the roof.

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

IMPATIENS!!!

lol I saw "Who else likes gardening?" first thing, then remembered it!

Thanks Lilly and Mark... phew.

Hey quirky,
IMPATIENS are easy to grow pretty plants that spread quite easily ALL by their little selves when they're happy.

Also you might like to go into a REAL Garden Nursery (not a hardware store) and ask a food growing shop assistant some questions like:
~ can you tell me what HERBS grow easily here?
~ what other food plants grow well in my soil? I live THERE...

(Ignore their talk of getting your soil PH tested etc, just say "Mhm, mhm... that's okay, I have friends to help with that - lol).

You can write THEIR list of herbs and plants in your phone NOTES section.

Then pick 2 or 3 Packets of herb seeds... now it's coming into AUTUMN / WINTER, many HERBS do not thrive in these seasons... CORIANDER is an exception, it LOVES cooler spots and climates.

Then get some pots OR spots in your garden. Maybe choose THREE spots.
Split the seeds between the three spots and see which spots work for them.

This is the usual experimental phase most of use get to after years of failures lol, so you're skipping up a few levels of "Gardener".

See how you go quirky!

Remember ANY question is welcome here.... our aim is to engage people in the wonders of gardening, it's great for our bodies, minds and souls.

Love EMxxxx

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
That's funny I was thinking of impatiens yesterday for something.I am glad the mystery is solved.

Jstar49
Community Member

Hi all,

Glad you got the mystery sorted Em. Impatiens LOVE shade don't they!

Pentas are my fave flower for butterflies. They need to get pretty big before the lovely velevety black ones 'see' them, and then they are a regular resting place. Also cosmos, which is a great flower for a dry spot, very hardy, and will reseed year after year. They grow very tall in their original (not dwarf) form, and can take a while to flower, but if you can prevent a tidy person like my H from pulling them out, you will be rewarded with beautiful purply pink flowers for months, buzzing with bees.

Happy gardening everyone!

Cheers,

J*

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
The rain is falling constantly here with the rainwater tanks overflowing again.The vegies I put in have really come to life and getting a real good start.Perfect weather to have seedlings in.
A town almost 2 hours away from here that was completely dry and trucking in water has its dam at 100% now.Its great to see it so green down there.
Take care,
Mark.

Paw Prints
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello All,

I ordered some plants online... a rose, some lavender & some native daisies... silly of me to order just before Easter... well 9 days after they shipped, they arrived today... the courier chap was very apologetic... he said he did water them last Thursday... but they have been in a box & without water over the break... the daisies & lavender seem to have travelled well... the rose has dropped most of it's leaves. I've given them a good drink & put them out on my verandah to get the afternoon sun

Given they will be stressed from the journey plus the Easter break... I'm not sure if I should pot them up now (just one lot of stress) or leave it a few weeks & give them time to bounce back before repotting them?

Also would it help to give them an extra boost with something like a seaweed solution?

Thanks

Paws

Hi Paws,

Thats so sad! Nice that the courier watered them for you- that was thoughtful!

I was thinking the same thing about seaweed solution. My H swears by it. And giving them some TLC for a few days sounds like a good idea. Is the rose bare rooted? (not that I know anything about them, but I know it's good to buy them this way) if so it's probably fine. Roses are pretty hardy aren't they Mark? I know mine can go for long stretches without water.

Good luck! Sounds like you chose good plants for the situation!

Cheers,

J*

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi paws good to see you on here.Yes give them a good drenching with a seaweed solution,seasol is good.Leave them if they are in pots already to they bounce back as you can do them more harm repotting them if they are stressed.Repot them when they are looking good again.
Take care,
Mark.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
If the rose is barefooted soak it in a bucket of water with some seasol.If it's potted just give it a good drenching of seaweed solution.They are pretty tough and should bounce back.