FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Who else likes gardening?

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone

I hope you're staying well today.

Who else likes gardening? I would love to connect with people here who are happy to share their gardening adventures.

For me I know that gardening helped heal my soul during tough times. I hope it will again.
Then with other things going on, it became a jungle.
I'm part way into rediscovering it again and doing A LOT of hard yakka atm, when I am motivated.

I have new dreams and ideas to put into the many bare places, as I remove thickets of lantana etc. This will all be on a tight budget and I'm ok with that.

I want to create a peaceful place where I can be.
I would like to grow food again (tell 'er she's dreamin' atm lol).
I would like to re-establish my worm farms and compost heaps.
Autumn is such a beautiful time of the year in the garden.

I'm 'alone' in my gardening journey and would love to share and hear about other's gardening antics. Hopefully we can troubleshoot any issues in our gardens and talk about any healing we're feeling too. There's a lot of knowledge we can share. I hope this thread can brighten your day!

Love Ecomama

Please

977 Replies 977

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
quirky geraniums are anther plant that thrive on neglect.I hardly water mine.I got heaps growing here all different coloured flowers .

Lillylane
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

One day when I replant the front garden I’d like to include more plants for bees. Been watching Gardening Australia.

I miss gardening. Other stuff going on. Did get out on a bush walk though which was good. So much new green growth.

Ahh right , my yards just a normal yard now in the burbs here so it doesn't sound like turkey's are gonna fit too good. l'll have to see if l end up on acreage again .

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

quirky! "I may have mentioned I can destroy artificial plants!"

NO! it's time for the BB Gardening thread intervention lol...

I KNOW there's a Green Thumb in there somewhere...

Sometimes we kill our plants with too much "love" - over watering, over fertilising etc.
Maybe your MINT would like a shadier place to live?
I haven't watered it for about 10y.
Mine lives in a shady area but it gets overflow water from our tank down the back... we have to mow the stuff.

Almost ANY Mediterranean plants will thrive on some neglect... you can Google search some.
Oregano does really well.
I put very nutrient rich soil in the pot and squash chook poo straw down the sides of the pot when the soil shrinks from the heat.
Mine is in a HUGE pot but I still have to care for it a bit, mainly bec it's in the absolute HOTTEST place in all seasons and gets killed back with the heat but comes back!

Nasturtiums are pretty AND edible.

quirky, if you think about what YOU like to EAT, list those.... then come back and ask about planting each one.

You'll get there, it's going to happen!

Love EM

Haha I didn’t mind the bush turkeys when the backyard was mainly scrub. But when it came time to sell, it was a bit stressful trying to keep it looking neat.

Our neighbour at the time, got really cranky with the turkeys. She had an incredible garden. It was fun to visit.

Lavender is wonderful to have around. Nurseries or markets have so many types now. I don’t quite have the room for it at the moment but will have to find a spot somewhere one day.

Another tough and reliable plant (a native) is Westringia. Available in colours like light blue and purples to white. I have a few growing happily. Can be clipped into tight balls or left to it’s own shape. Pretty grey foliage.

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey Mark! Thanks for ALL your awesome advice! What are those plants called that spread everywhere and have pretty little flowers but I think they like the shade? lol big ask... I can't remember the name right now... bit of a guessing game. Sorry! xxxx

Hey J*

Thankyou yes, it's VERY satisfying lol... I did it all JUST in time bec moving my children into "more independence" aka 'do your own washing, here's how' lol... caused a FLOOD in my laundry, home, linen press today....

LUCKILY the laundry drain was cleared by my work!!
I had a dentist appt so it was ALL up to the kids to clean up lol.

I hadn't done the paved path "drain" thingy yet and wow was there some erosion after that... so I know the drain's cleared! LOL!

I still haven't paved, opted for a nap after a big family lunch here... the "nap" lasted 5 hours!!
So YES I pressed HALT lol. xxxx

Hey rx!

Mr Tomato Man lol... better than Mr Pumpkin Man?
I'm Turkey Girl!

You are definitely "missing out" not having a Brush Turkey live at yours... you can have one of ours for FREE, any time rx lol...

you can live your Turkey Life vicariously through my life if you prefer lol.

My front garden looks like Fort Knox now.
My life Goal is to get smarter than these Turkeys one day lol... Grand Goal hey? xxxx

Hey Lilly

That's a really altruistic aim to have more plants for bees, we DEFINITELY NEED them!
And for Butterflies too!

I love Plumbago for butterflies.
ANY flowers help bees... having SOMETHING flowering in our gardens all year round is really supportive for bees.

Letting ONE of our favourite (and best) herb plants "go to flower" is good for bees AND us... the bees get to have the flowers and we can collect the seeds.

So glad you got a nature walk in, hugs... xxxx

Happy gardening experiences everyone!
Love EM

Lillylane
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Quirky,

I meant to mention that Westringia isn’t a herb. But was thinking in terms of low maintenance and those who like the grey tones of Lavender, may like the similar grey tones of Westringia 🙂

Lillylane
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hi EM, are you thinking of violets? Just a guess 🙂 They are lovely too.

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey Lilly

I have "accidental" native violets growing wherever they want to in my garden... apparently according to Josh Byrne - Gardening Aust... they're REALLY difficult to grow bec they're so sensitive to all sorts.
So I've never 'weeded' them out.
They seem to LOVE the shade.. and lots of water! But I don't water hardly at all... like maybe once a year and only in some places, so mine seem to love living where natural water flows readily during and after rain.

Noooo I'm really struggling to remember the name! lol... I can ask Alexa tomorrow, she might remember. It's on the tip of my tongue! It's going to drive me crazy till I find out lol....

it's a tip for quirky... they grow prolifically in the right conditions BUT I think quirky's after easy to grow food plants.

EMxxxx