FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Who else likes gardening?

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone

I hope you're staying well today.

Who else likes gardening? I would love to connect with people here who are happy to share their gardening adventures.

For me I know that gardening helped heal my soul during tough times. I hope it will again.
Then with other things going on, it became a jungle.
I'm part way into rediscovering it again and doing A LOT of hard yakka atm, when I am motivated.

I have new dreams and ideas to put into the many bare places, as I remove thickets of lantana etc. This will all be on a tight budget and I'm ok with that.

I want to create a peaceful place where I can be.
I would like to grow food again (tell 'er she's dreamin' atm lol).
I would like to re-establish my worm farms and compost heaps.
Autumn is such a beautiful time of the year in the garden.

I'm 'alone' in my gardening journey and would love to share and hear about other's gardening antics. Hopefully we can troubleshoot any issues in our gardens and talk about any healing we're feeling too. There's a lot of knowledge we can share. I hope this thread can brighten your day!

Love Ecomama

Please

977 Replies 977

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
My grandma had the most amazing collection of rare plants that inspired my mother and inspired me.I lost her 3 days after my 7th birthday but remember her well especially making me work hard when I came to stay like bringing in firewood and making sure the fire never went out.It seemed like fun as a kid staging where their was no electricity or running water.A crop farm with many fruit trees scattered around and never a shortage of something to eat.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I just planted a tree for my elderly neighbour and she was surprised how big I dig the hole She said no wonder my garden grows so well.I mixed a bit of my compost in the soil for her as well.Our soil can be hard and rocky here so I gave it the best chance to get a good start.

My gf put in 100% organic tomato seeds before she left for home last time she was suppose get back a mth ago but complications her end. Thought l'd kill them for sure l grow great trees and some other unmentionables' but l usually shorten veggie lifespans quite a bit if left to my own devices . Problem is l didn't this time and l now have 3million 231 tomatoes but mostly living on my own until she gets back , be awhile yet.

And no l'm not knocking on neighbour doors with boxes of free tomatoes , it's just not me haha.

Lillylane
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
That’s a very kind thing to do for your neighbour. What kind of tree is it?

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Lillylane I have completely forgotten what I planted for her.She was telling me where she use to live how wonderful the soul was and you could grow anything in it.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi randomx you will be making tomato relish and dried tomatoes by the sounds of it.Just hollow if you need any recipes.
Take care,
Mark

Ahh matchy but that's the problem , l can't cook , l burn water . And when l'm on my own l only use 3 or 4 tomatoes a wk anyway . l had no idea these things grew so many.

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Wow Mark what wonderful memories, did you get to run up and down the rows of orchards?

Awwww You're such a sweet neighbour doing that. MUSCLE POWER!

Lol. You're awesome Mark.

Love EM

Lillylane
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Mark,

Do you have any suggestions on how to preserve mangoes? I’ve picked a few to leave them inside to ripen further but I have a feeling they probably aren’t going to be be soft and sweet ones for eating fresh. So preserving them might be an option instead. Not sure whether to try making jam or chutney. Actually I have very little idea about what the difference is.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Also - how do you prevent possums or other wildlife getting to the mangoes?

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey rx lol 3 million and 231 tomatoes?

Man! The mozzies here are the size of Pterodactyls (don't make me Google spelling anymore lol) and I've told you a billion times I never exaggerate lol!!

How bout you chuck 3 million in a pot on the stove on LOW and just melt them down.
Cut them in half first!
Then LET THEM COOL.
Then put them in plastic containers with lids OR snap lock bags.
Freeze them.

Your GF will know what to do with them when she comes home lol.

I swear I LOVE you guys putting up with these FREAKING mozzies to connect lol!
Cheeses!

EM!! xxxx