FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What often Works for Me

anotherbluebird
Community Member
Yoga has been a great help with depression  and anxiety creating islands of peace when surrounded by  impenetrable  sludge or a raging torrent. Sometimes I can feel the positive effects for up to a week after a class and last month it pulled me out of a very bad state where I was becoming  frightened at how bad I was feeling.I am still feeling the reassuring effect 4 weeks on,so very impressed!  I don't use medication , not sure if this is the wisest thing but the combination of gentle exercise and yoga is allowing me more time feeling secure and grounded than in the past . Apart from feeling good after a class ( peaceful and optimistic usually ) I think it continues to work   by clearing the air waves , removing negative filters( e.g. the harsh inner critic)  long enough  to allow a backlog of positive thoughts to emerge( bit like turning on your mobile and having the queued arrive). I have managed to discover many things I actually like about myself through this process of respite and the memory of this  can be very reassuring when the savage times hit .My problems with depression are enormous , I don't rely solely on yoga and exercise, but obviouisly from my spruiking , I recommend giving it a go if you're considering it.The one I do is a very gentle (non athletic) form that aims towards inner peace and healing.Cheers 
1 Reply 1

Zbigniew
Community Member

Hi Anotherbluebird,

That's great that you find yoga to be so beneficial in managing your depression.  Yoga is a beautiful exercise that has real benefits for the mind and body.

I practice pilates about five times a week which i find very beneficial for relaxing the mind and body and for managing my depression.

I also find more aggressive forms of exercise to be beneficial as a means of releasing pent up negative energy and as an opportunity to vent.  But i have to be careful with this - my neighbour who suffers anxiety has already called the police on two seperate occasions because i was venting whilst exercising and i wasn't even swearing!

Take care and i wish you the very best in your journey to find inner peace and harmony

Zbigniew