FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

what is compassion burnout

Iteachyouthincustody
Community Member

Hello all,

I teach in a youth justice setting and I would like to know if compassion burnout is common among teachers in the education field?.I am aware that "Compassion Burnout" and "Vicarious Trauma" is associated with our first responders, has anyone outside of emergency services experienced "Compassion Burnout" and "Vicarious Trauma"?

I have had a few unpleasant incidents at the Youth Justice Centre, where I have been verbally threatened with physical assault and have seen a young person get violent.I am getting support from my well-being officer and l am curious how "Compassion Fatigue" and "Vicarious Trauma " affects those who care and work with people that have trauma in their lives.

1 Reply 1

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Iteachyouthincustody~

The matters you mention are by no means limited to first responders, in fact in any caring situation -including teaching, such matters do sadly occur too often.

I'll try to give you a brief account of my understanding of these things , however please bear in mind this is just my own views, I'm no doctor or psychologist and will happily stand correction by those more knowledgeable

Burnout is a term that describes the emotional and physical exhaustion that individuals can experience when they feel powerless and overwhelmed at having to repeatedly undertake tasks which due to their nature cannot be achieved or are pointless. I used ot have an ongoing case load of several hundred where each might take a week to resolve, most often wiht little or no tangible result. If I'd remained in that situation I most certainly have come to feel my work, and outside, was pointless.

Compassion Fatigue refers to the intense emotional and physical destruction that takes place when helpers are unable to refuel and regenerate their own capability for self-compassion leading to the consistent devaluing of their own and other's plights, as an example which I only know second hand: constantly dealing with those who have had the most harrowing violent life experiences on a daily basis can leave one much less moved as time goes on.

Vicarious Trauma occurs when one's fundamental beliefs about the world are altered and significantly damaged by being consistently exposed to persons who themselves have experienced trauma. It does not even have to be direct contact wiht the persons involved, in my own case part of my trauma came about though  viewing images of the results of violence. My own world view became much darker partly because  of these and eventually led to incapacity.

I can only suggest if you are in any way affected by the above seek comprehensive understanding support.

Croix