FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What friends?

Notanurse
Community Member

I really have the question: "do you have any support around you? Family? Friends?"

Because my answers always "What family? What friends?"

I grew up knowing my mother, my half sister, my brother, my nana, my Nan and my pop. All on my mum's side. I barely know my father, I only remember seeing him maybe a handful of times. And my father's parents are just names.

It's sad because for as long as I can remember, I've always wanted a huge family. Uncle's, aunts, cousins, grandparents, extended family. I wanted to have 4 kids so one day I'll be this little old lady surrounded by a large family of my own making(I can dream!).

There's nothing I can do to change my family though. Except for the part where I have 4 kids and hopefully be that happily little old lady surrounded by her huge family.

As for friends though..

I had many friends in primary school, I counted everyone as a friends, I got along with pretty much everyone.

High school came around and my close circle from primary school started breaking up, going their own way. But I was sitting there wanting it to be us still because they were my everything. Rumours started that one hated the other but they were friends on the outside. I ended up having enough of the lies and games so I was the one to befriend them. Gotta love teenage drama.

Ever since then though I've found it very difficult to form lasting friendships.

That's when I went to uni and met my former best friend.

We got along really well, called each other soul sisters, we had the best times together. That was until she couldn't put up with my severe lows. The most recent being about 3 weeks ago, which is now why she's the former best friend.

Apart from that, I have one person I talk to regularly at the moment. That person being someone who thinks were going to be in a relationships(I very much do not want a relationship). Other than that I have 3 people who check in from time to time.

It's lonely, it's draining, I hate it. I'm human, I need to be social. I really wish there was a tinder for friendships. Put in your interests and find people with the same interests. Would be amazing.

So how do you deal with the loneliness? How do you make friends?

All I can think is that it MUST get better once I'm employed and working regularly right?

1 Reply 1

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Notanurse,

I feel your loneliness, loss and despair. I think it can really hurt if a person’s biological family feels more like strangers who share certain genetic make-up than people you can actually open up to...

It must have really stung when your former best friend found your lows too difficult to handle. In a way, it almost sounds like she had a conditional acceptance of you, your moods/feelings and your rich complexity...regardless, it must have been a big blow to lose her friendship.

I think there’s something called the meetup app that people have mentioned on the forums. Basically, you can use it to participate in social events with people with similar interests.

I’ve never used it personally but I wonder if this might help you to make some new friends. It’s just a gentle suggestion...

I’m so glad you’re reaching out here. There’s no pressure but if you feel writing here to be helpful, feel free to check in with us whenever you like 🙂

Kind and caring thoughts,

Pepper