FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Walking Shoes - Walking and Other Exercise

Guest_1055
Community Member

Hey to anyone reading this.

Last night I had an idea about starting a new thread about exercise especially walking. I am aware that walking is very beneficial for our mental, emotional and physical well being. And by actually doing it....well it can make a huge difference to how we cope with the storms that we face in life.

OK, I am not real good at disciplining myself to walk, and have to really push myself to do it. And sometimes it is even hard to leave this bedroom. Anyway I am not a beginner walker, as I have stuck to sort of a plan before. So I know that it does make me feel somewhat better. But I only stayed on the plan for a couple of months, then gave up.....for whatever reason. So here I am again wanting desperately to not fail this time.

So I guess this thread is for anyone that does walk, anyone that is struggling to walk because of depression or anxiety issues. And anyone else really......

I am unsure of the outcome of all this. But my ideas included: Sharing about things we have found out about exercise especially about walking. Writing down the reasons that one would chose to walk ( like something to help motivate). Being accountable in same way. Sharing about the places where we actually do walk, like the beach, gym, around the block, with the dog, out to the clothesline and back. And any other useful tips that could help others. So here we go......

4,381 Replies 4,381

Hi Shelley anne and everyone else on this thread,

I have had a bit of a read of some of these posts. You have all made me feel like I would like to go for a walk right now, so thanks for that.

I will wait until a little later on though as it is about 35 degrees right now and I don't like the heat.

Earlier on in this thread I read some of the reasons why people go for a walk. Some days I have totally different reasons. One day I might be really cranky and it helps to reduce my frustrations. Another day I might have eaten too many chocolate biscuits and hope a walk will help negate that! Ha. Ha.

Some days I purposely drive to the beach for a walk or to a park for some peace and a chance to just unwind and enjoy the scenery.

Now and then I take a garbage bag with me and collect the junk that is along the roadways near our home.

So I have many different reasons for going walking.

I will put my walking shoes near the door and try to encourage myself to go out later.

Cheers all from Topsy.

Welcome Topsey Hope you enjoy your walk when it cools down. You are right there are many reasons for walking but what ever the reason it helps mentally & physically.

Shelley The lake is lovely and peaceful. While swimming you are forced to concentrate on your breathing and where you are going in a way you don't need to while walking so it takes your mind off everything. I found lying on my back doing backstroke the water supported my body so it felt so relaxing I wanted to close my eyes and sleep. Of course I didn't. I don't know why I have such a hard time making myself go when it is so pleasant. 

The steps are about a km from home and form a walkway between two roads. We live on a relatively flat area at the bottom of a hill. This means I get to cool off walking down hill & on the flat to return home which is good.

Glad you were able to incorporate some walking into your busy day. Walking up & down the railway stairs sounds like a good way to use your time. Walking up steps does make legs & knees ache. Well done. I did a short walk this afternoon with my gradkids to the park. It was a bit warm to really enjoy it

Hello topsy turvy

Here is a welcome hug for you, if you would like one! I am glad you may have been inspired to get out your walking shoes, and leave them near the front door. Way good....... So did you end up going walking or something? I can relate the chocolate biscuits thing as well. For me it is plain Cadbury chocolate. Oh yum... 

Shelley xx

Hey guys, 

Went for a walk to a football game, it was good, if crowded. 

It was when I sat and thought that things went silly! 

But I enjoyed the walk! 

Skye

Hi Shelley,

Sorry I didnt respond to your post from 7.20pm last night (Fri).  I didnt get it until tonight.  It rained here all day yesterday and last night.  Finally stopped mid morning today.  So its been fine all afternoon now.  I even got to do a little bit of gardening.  No walking today though.  Very wet underfoot after 100mms rain in 2 days.

So I am still planning on going for a good long walk on Monday.

Hi topsy turvy.  Good to see you joining in with the walking group.

Sherie xx

Hello Skye

Three cheers for Skye who walked to the football game!

Hugs

Shelley xx

You make me smile 😘

Hi Skye Glad you enjoyed your walk to the football. Sherie. Hope things dry up a bit so you can walk again in comfort. Pity they can't spread the rain more evenly round this country. You either have too much or not enough.!!! Only managed a short walk to a park with the grandkids. It was a bit hot to enjoy. The older one wasn't in a good mood as his cousin didn't turn up as planned. Our family get together fizzled badly. One son and one daughter had already said they couldn't come & then my daughter cancelled as twon of her children were sick and one ended up in hospital after she took him to the GP. At least they know what is wrong now and can can start treating him. My 19mth old grandson was funny to watch. He was drilling the wall and then hammering after like his dad does. Other kids cuddle teddy He cuddles his toy drills, a jigsaw (for cutting metal or wood not a puzzle) and his hammer when he goes to bed. He likes wearing earmuffs while he watches his dad use power tools. I will get back on track with walking tomorrow

Guest_1055
Community Member

Hugs to all!

Came across this tonight.........

"Walking can even help your mood. A number of studies have found that it’s as effective as drugs for decreasing depression in some people. It can help relieve everyday stresses, too. Tension starts to ease as the road stretches out in front of you. Mood-elevating endorphin levels increase. Many people find that walking helps clear the mind, too—you may even find the solution to a problem that’s been bugging you." - Harvard Medical School

Let's keep walking.........

Shelley xx

Guest_1055
Community Member

Hello everyone

Hey Paul !Thanks for sharing about what it is like for you living with the agoraphobia. I am sorry that you have this in your life. You know how you mentioned that distraction helped you, you know with the children wanting to pat your dog. Why can't you like use distraction now, so like listen to music on an ipod or mobile phone or something, or even calming nature sounds. You could simply tune out from other thoughts and feelings whilst you are walking. You probably have already thought of that though. But I am just throwing it out there anyway.....

Hugs to you, and I hope you have a good day!

Hey Elizabeth, I love it when little ones copy their mum or their dad in a good way. It is so...cute. Your grandson sounds adorable. He must really like his hammer if he takes it to bed. It is good you went for a short walk to the park. Even better when you can share loving times with family. Is your other grandchild OK? Hope you enjoy your walk tomorrow Elizabeth.

Have a good walk on Monday Sherie. Please don't feel any pressure to respond to this post Sherie. You are free. Take care my friend. Many hugs.

Hey Skye, I am truly glad you smiled.

Hugs to all

Shell xx