FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

volunteering suggestions

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello, volunteering is a great way to help you stay mentally well. So I'm interested in seeing if we can share our own volunteering experiences. Perhaps those who are interested in doing volunteering but don't know how or what it's like can read and see what may suit them best.

Anyway for me, these are the groups I've volunteered with:

- Cancer council: an office role for 3 months, working on building brand awareness. It was actually really good for me just coming out of high school because I wanted to see what working in an office would be like, and this was the first time I'd ever been in one. I found it on their website, and did about 2 days a week.

- Oxfam: I've helped out with their trailwalker event. I really recommend having a look at this if you would like a longer shift for one day. Even if you're a bit more shy, there are things you can help with in groups of 4 or less: picking up rubbish and sign markers, putting up the sign markers, driving from different stops to deliver water...and if you do not want to walk much, you can check people in, be a general helper with setting up or packing up...there's lots to do and you feel like you're part of a big event, without necessarily needing to be with lots of people.

- Volunteering at uni: I did tutoring for local disadvantaged high school students. This is also very rewarding for those of you who feel comfortable with tutoring. I did not even get particularly high grades, but it really helped me build confidence in communicating and even just getting used to being in an uncomfortable position (when I didn't know the answer to something)

- Volunteering through work: through my work, I have done a mentoring role for disadvantaged primary school students. this was really great and it was so nice seeing the changes in my two kids over just 4 months.

- Daffodil Day/Legacy day/etc.: most charities and things tend to have volunteering for people to sell the little trinkets. i must admit, this is my least favourite. For me, I take rejection quite personally and it's very tiring trying to get people to buy things (in Sydney)

What are the ones you have done or are interested in doing? I'd love to try helping out with a soup kitchen next, and a friend of mine helps run little trips around Sydney for primary school kids with Vinnies which he says is great too.

5 Replies 5

Elizabeth CP
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I think it is really important to consider your own interests & capabilities when thinking of volunteering particularly if MI. Ideally you want something which leaves you feeling good, successful useful etc.

My son has always liked gardening & being outdoors. He arranged with a friend who worked for Parks Victoria to volunteer at some of the local national Parks doing weeding etc. Over time his MH improved enough to work with some other friends doing landscaping & gardening & later he did a TAFE course in conservation & land management.

I shared this to encourage others to think outside the typical volunteering roles to look for what suits you as we are all different. The good thing about volunteering is we can try things to see if they suit as we aren't commited long term.

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Elizabeth, that is totally true about doing things you are interested in, and perhaps even testing things that you haven't tried yet.

I used to do a bit of volunteering just at school with our school garden doing weeding and watering. Somehow that managed to spark an interest in me and, 10 years on, I finally have my own little garden and trying to grow my own fruits and veggies and herbs and make flower arrangements with my own flowers. 🙂

AndyR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

hello James

Great topic. One thing I found as an amazing spin off from volunteering with a sporting club came when I was suicidal. The people at the club rallied around with practical hands-on task oriented support. They didnt ask how are you or are you ok, they asked 'what can we do'. I needed to sell my house but had done no maintenance or gardening for several years so it was a mess. The club organised working bees, 6 in total and the house was made saleable. Since then the people from the club have woven the safety net that keeps me safe as I rebuild.

For me volunteering has had rewards I could not possibly have dreamt of when I began.

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

hey andy,

Oh wow that is such an amazing story. I can only imagine how it must've felt to have that community rally around you like that. That's awesome.

You know, I read that statistically 1/5 Australians 16-85yo experience a mental health illness in any given year, so there may have been others in that group who also struggled and perhaps even recognised a part of themselves in you. So, funnily enough, that community really helped a whole bunch of people to feel accepted and part of something bigger.

I find that really amazing. Thanks 🙂

AndyR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi James

Indeed you nail it. It wasn't just me who was helped. There were indeed others who also struggled with anxiety and depression and my coming out with my story and the way the club rallied helped shift the culture in lots of ways, with people more willing to open up.

One of the most amazing learnings I got was understanding I could never know the motivations behind why people contributed - they just did - and that I don't need to know. It was a wonderful lesson in acceptance I can tell you! And there were so many of expressions of thanks at being able to contribute, to help; when they were hesitant about speaking about mental health the practical way of helping was a great option.

I think there's something in that as a model for how community might be engaged.