FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Trying new ways and Ideas to get through Day to day life

Bec_Luke
Community Member

Hey Again My Fellow Friends,

I'v had a different thought in away of dealing with my every day, day to day life, depression and what I maybe going through everyday.

I was talking to a very good friend of mine from school he is engaged to his boyfriend, who had experienced depression him self. My friend told me the other day that one of the ways that he delt with his depression is, he would make an anonymous you tube account and at the end of each day he would turn his webcam on and would record what his day was like or what had happened during the day. I have had a little bit of thought about trying this as well.

However I'm interested to hear other peoples stories of how they deal or what they do to deal with their day to day to life and maybe experience what i have, and through depression.

I do keep a diary and write in it occasionally, i seem to only write init when i maybe really confused or up tight about something or just can't figure things out. I haven't started yet but am attempting to maybe try and start blogging, and I also talk to you guys on here.

But if anyone has ideas or just wants too share what you may do or helps, or is up for a discussion of different things and ways, Please feel free to reply 

Thanks heaps

Bec.x

4 Replies 4

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Bec

This is an interesting thread.  Thanks for putting it up.

Your friend's idea of YouTube is interesting, though a bit scary to people like me who are technologically challenged.  Similarly writing blogs.

Keeping a diary or journal is more my style.  What I like about this is that I can record whatever I like without telling anyone what I have written.  This way I can confide my deepest fears and dreams, anger and joy without feeling that someone will ridicule them.  Another benefit is that in the future I can go back and see how far I have come on my journey.  It can be pretty amazing.  And the third benefit is that I may be able to talk about some of these things to my psychologist if I get more comfortable.

I find the biggest problem with depression is doing anything.  Once you can get yourself up the options open enormously.  I need activities with some form of physical activity and the need for concentration.  This generally rules out TV and much as I love reading, this is often difficult.

Gardening is good, getting together with a one or two trusted friends to talk, about anything except depression.  I am always aware of when my energy levels are going down and I stop at this point.  Although TV is bad for me, going to see a film is good.  No idea why except that perhaps it has got me out of the house.

Exercise is also good, both for the body and mind.  Not sure the mind responds so well but I know it does.  Meditation is fantastic and many studies have shown the improvement in mental health through meditation.

I hope this has given you some ideas.

Regards

White Rose

Hi Rose,

Thank you for your reply,

I do like some of your ideas such as seeing a film a i have once done it before,

I am tryin to get back into my Athletic training how ever as you mentioned mentally. For me it's funny how my mind works with my exercise. but at the moment i guess i'm just doing as much i can mentally handle, I think as much as I would love to get back to the level that i was at, at the start of the beginning of last year. I think at the moment mentally for me i'm just gonna have to once again be patient. for me when I wright in my diary some times its like, just a bunch of words on paper. Meditation Might be an interesting Thing to try. I have hear before that its ment to be really good as well. but i may have to find things that can also financially fit in with me as well.

Thank you  for your response Rose. I hope to hear more fro you too 🙂

Bec

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Bec, firstly can I say that in one of your other posts I mention about what I did with problems that I couldn't solve after a long time and sending them to the bermuda triangle, but thinking over night I believe that this was too heavy a comment to give you at this stage, so I want to apologise deeply for doing so.

I think that there would be too many days when I was depressed to even bother with putting 'my day' onto the youtube account, because with depression I would say to myself 'I can't do it today' or 'bu************er doing it today'.

I used to love talking to much older folk as I find them so interesting, especially when they used to talk about the 'old times' where they had no washing machine, TV or the modern facilities we now have.

Sometimes we would talk about how I am feeling, but mostly about themselves, which then took me away from depression, but that's what I loved doing, to stop thinking about depression, and getting myself deeper into depression, because there are times when that's what we want to do.

Thanks Bec, I am almost your fathers age so I feel old, but as they say which I now believe that experience does work. L Geoff. x

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi Bec

With some of the things you’ve posted on here, you are definitely wise beyond your years.  It’s a very nice way to be and I really do see and hope that you’ve got a lovely bright future ahead of you to look forward too.  This is a very hard time for you at the moment that you’re dealing with – but with all the appropriate help and support, I so hope that you’ll come out of this someday and end up truly and genuinely happy.

Sorry, slight digression to my response to you.

During the last 5 or so years, I have kind of written my thoughts up in a word document – given it a bit of a title like, “Thoughts from the Black Dog” given it a date and then off I go and like White Rose suggested I also type up exactly how I am feeling at that time – anything and everything – just get it down. 

So as you can imagine after a few years of doing this, I had collected a fair amount of these kinds of writings.  So much so, that after I went back through it all, I then decided to create a manuscript about my life – and my battle with depression and was able to include these pages into the book (whoops, it’s not a book at the moment, it’s still in manuscript form), but as you can imagine, with these pages included it really is a ‘no holds barred’ story.

I also do keep a daily written diary – and never miss entering – it’s a ritual every night that I cannot go to be unless I have written in my diary about things that happened during my day.  I do write about my illness a little, but really don’t go into too much detail about it – and what I do find, is that when I am suffering badly from it, then my diary writing for that day is really short.  I somehow just close up and don’t feel able to write too much about anything.

I am also not tech savvy, but would feel extremely uneasy about doing a you tube, video kind of chat thing.  Yes, I know this is all out there on the world wide interweb for anyone to potentially see, but something about you tubing and videoing, makes me very uneasy.  But hey, each to their own.

And as mentioned already, exercise is a big thing to help with day to day living – as is eating healthy – both very important things to help contribute to a better ‘you’.  🙂

Kind regards

Neil