FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

*Trigger Warning* (bodyweight) Looking for weight loss encouragement/support ๐Ÿ˜Š

anon143
Community Member

I am heavily over weight, extremely unfit & according to my BMI I am obese (yikes, even saying that really makes me feel ashamed).

My journey will not be easy, or quick, I understand that and I accept that. Ideally I want to lose at least 25 kg before I will consider myself happy but I also donโ€™t want it to become a habit that I obsess over & relapse again like I have in the past if I have an off day which will turn into an off week & then every excuse will come up until I stop all together.

What are some things that keep you motivated to staying healthy? I admit today I had a very good day, I stuck with my dance workout even though my knees are becoming sore but I made sure not to overdo it. I had to compromise on my walk today and instead of walking up our big hill I decided to walk 4ks around a local park. I ended up meeting all my activity goals on my Apple Watch & I ate relatively healthy and in moderation. Iโ€™ve made the choice not to cut out certain foods & have tried my best to substitute for healthier/low calorie foods. Iโ€™ve also started trying to weigh and count calories as itโ€™s something Iโ€™ve struggled with and it wasnโ€™t as hard as I made out before, so Iโ€™m very happy with that.

My motivation so far is to improve how I feel, to really boost my self esteem. I also want to feel good and look good on the outside as Iโ€™ve barely looked at myself in the mirror for the last 8 months. I also do it for my son, who needs his Mum ๐Ÿ˜Š My main point is I am doing it for me and not for my abusive ex husband. So hopefully this will last longer than last years blow out and I actually achieve my goals and maintain a healthy weight appropriately.

3 Replies 3

sunnyl20
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi anon143,

Thank you for writing such an honest post. It sounds like you have got a lot on your mind. I think it is important that you have identified your motivations - it may help to have these written down either on a piece of paper or in your phone so that when/if you feel like things are not going so well you can remind yourself why you started in the first place. Have you considered seeing your GP for some extra support in managing your weight? They may be able to help you to build some sustainable habits and goals and refer you on if necessary.

Take care.

Emmen
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear anon143,

Congratulations for starting on this journey!

It's important that you have clear goals and have reasonable expectations of yourself. You seem to be doing well so far, good work! I wonder if you'd also like to join a community (even if it's just a dance class or a group jogging session). Having people around you doing the same thing as you can act as motivation even when you feel unmotivated.

Kindly,
M

katieg84
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Firstly congratulations for starting on this crazy journey!!

I want you to know that I to am classed as obese, at one stage I was even classed as morbidly obese. I hate how they put those horrible names on it makes me feel worse not motivated to make change. I struggle massively with motivation. Iโ€™ve been told going for a walk 2-4 times a week is beneficial. I have switched my dinners to youfoodz (ready made meals) I have stopped emotionally eating witch is my biggest thing. Itโ€™s not an easy journey but with each step in the right direction it becomes rewarding and you get more motivated. Best of luck