FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

The positive effects of exercise. Why not take advantage of it?

Guest254
Community Member
I was in the Police Force for 16 years before being medically discharged with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and acute depression and anxiety. I started seeing psychologists, psychiatrists, doctors and taking many medications but the one thing that helped me the most to come through a lot of the struggles I was having was physical activity every day. It let out a lot of the anger, raised my feel good endorphins and it wore me out at night so I could sleep. I started my own fitness business in December 2012 in the Wollongong area of NSW and run a session called "Walk and Talk" specifically aimed at people with depression and anxiety. I have the support of local doctors, psychologists, psychiatrists and support groups but I can not get anyone to come and try it. It is frustrating because I know how much better exercise can make you feel but I also know how hard it can be to leave your house and how deliberating depression and anxiety can be. Does anyone have any positive thoughts on how I can encourage people to come and take part? Just as I helped people for 16 years when I was a police officer I want to help people again but I don't know how.
7 Replies 7

The_Real_David_Charles
Community Member

Dear Work it Out Fitness,

Motivation is a bit tough when depressed so I would suggest if you book in a 10 week schedule always say "You don't have to come if you don't feel like it".   That way you'll have 100% attendance, reverse psychology and all that.

Gotta admit it sounds very caring even if the guidelines for personal advertising seem to have been bent a bit.  Google pretty much finds anything with a label.  But I can see where you are coming from, so Good Luck with it.

My wife is doing a Ph D on Music and the Brain and one of the smaller bits of info that came out was that you can change your mindset into a more positive manner with exercise.  But walking ain't gonna cut it.   You need more hard on physical fitness to really break the mould.  Walking fast might do the trick but as you are specifically talking as well I can't see the physical part having the big effect that you describe as it would be more leisurely.    You might want to advertise it more as a social group.  A walking guide/tour through the Bhudist Temple nr Wollongong with Vegetarian Afternoon Tea.

There are other things you can do to wear yourself out at night !   One of the  problem with leaving the Police Force could be the lack of "group"/ "team"/"banter".  Unless you suffered some discrimination when medically discharged.  I went through the same department, same medical discharge, etc, and am dutifully called "a shonky bastard" to explain my years of bipolar and suffering. Law of the Jungle stuff. That was back in 1997 and the myth continues.    Could it be a need to control rather than Police.  Just saying.

Adios, David.

S_A_D_
Community Member

You're half way there, and I am very impressed with the effort you've put into this program. If I was nearby I would look it up and join. Great work so far.

So what are you missing? A salesman. Specifically a motivational speaker. They will keep customers coming back by being their best friend. Someone with so much confidence and enthusiasm that can support their mental state while you focus on their exercise program. If you think you can juggle both you will lose customers, because they will be hearing mixed messages. From the trainer they hear orders to push through the pain, keep going, just 10 more, and they may develop a resentment. They will need someone else to lean on, to be a crutch.

Then you need to attract first time customers. I would use the endorsement tactic. Go along to depression support group meetings on a day when the moderator plans to talk about the benefits of exercise. This can be coordinated. Make the members an offer they can't refuse, and expect a fair few to refuse. Expect a fair few to accept and never turn up. You can't do anything for them on that occasion, but they may take up your challenge the next time you visit that group. Don't push anyone, or most will recoil. This is about being gentle. You may want to get the salesman to do this part too if your police training has hardened you, as a fitness trainer probably should be (to some extent).

Division of duties, that's what it's all about. He raises them up in self esteem/confidence, you deliver the "punishment" of painful exercise, and he raises them up again before they leave.

These patients will be high maintenance. no more than 2 training under your supervision, and no more than 4 (2 pre-workout, 2 post-workout) receiving motivation from your business partner. They will not be thinking about the benefits of exercise at the time, just the pain, so you need to offset that with rewards significant enough to bring them back, and I don't mean material objects or money. You could try food and drink, but the kicker will be in seeing that "friend" they've made in your business partner, and loathing the time with the trainer. In time, as they begin to see the benefits of exercise, you will befriend them too, and you can wean them off the motivational speaker.

TontoKiwi
Community Member

I totally agree, I feel amazing all day going for a run cycle in the morning. but even still find it extremely hard to get up , without being kicked out of bed or being committed to turn up with someone else. Motivation is the thing that keeps sufferers from exercising so maybe getting peoples offsiders/friends/family to come as a form of boot camp.  

anotherbluebird
Community Member
I am hoping your 'Walk and Talk'  idea grew legs!...If I lived in Wollongong I would attend and i think it is great you are trying to bring  benefits you yourself experienced, to others through exercise.I read of a similar group operating in UK and yet i have not heard of anything like this elsewhere( strange as GPs now readily acknowledge exercise is often as effective as anti-depressants) . Motivation  is often a major barrier to healing  (with inertia lying at the heart of depression). I use swimming, yoga classes and occasionally walking for well being and these have been of enormous benefit(can't recommend enough). Motivation for me is  a problem  but I live in an area surrounded by nature ( ocean, bush etc)  so there is a 'lure' factor at work! However I would probably not do yoga if there were not a group to attend or walk  if there were not a friend to do it with.If your group did get up I would be very interested to hear how it is going,Cheers   

Zbigniew
Community Member

I find that exercise is very beneficial for managing my depression - i don't know i would be with out it.  On average i exercise for about 2hrs per day everyday and my exercise regime is very diverse and includes; indoor rowing machine, cycling, running, boxercise, pilates / yoga / general stretching and body resistance / resistance band exercises and walking.

Motivation is not a problem for me i just do it no matter if i am tired, sick injured etc i'll always find something i can do.  The problem is i am too motivated and i tick most of the boxes for being an exercise addict such as i hate having my routine interrupted and i get really anxious / edgy if i can't exercise for any reason.

There is a lot of rubbish going on in my life at the moment.  Exercise is one of the few things in my life that i enjoy and have control over.  I dread to think where i would be if it wasn't for exercise.

Zbigniew

Zbigniew
Community Member
At the moment it is cold, wet and raining where i am but i am not going to let that interrupt my bike ride home even if i am unprepared for wet and cold weather

Zbigniew
Community Member

I am so addicted to exercise to the extent that when i'm not exercising i'm constantly think about exercising (even when i should be working), i'm regularly on the internet seeking new information on exercising. I spend my money on exercise equipment.  I'm always thinking about what changes i can make to my exercise program and what new exercises i can do.  I even dream about exercising.

There is too much rubbish in my life which i have little control over.  Exercise is the only thing i care about and that gives me focus.  There is nothing else i care about apart from my 4 yo daughter who i love and would do anything for.