FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Thank you - one year into my journey

Guest_2350
Community Member

Hi All,

thank you all for your support during the last year and all the times you kept me motivated, explained things, shared your experiences, understood me or were just there for me. I keep thinking that I am still at the beginning of my journey - as I thought I would be cured of this in a matter of months like an injury - but I am starting to accept, that this is actually me, this is part of me and I am already a long way into my journey.

I am starting to accept that

- recovery will always have dips, and that some of the dips are really scary

- I have a mental illness

- I take medication, but they actually help me and I know how and when to take them

- it is okay to ask for help when I get lost and confused

- it is okay to call a helpline, my GP, my psych and share how I really feel

- it is okay to feel lost and confused

- it is okay to feel angry, to feel sad, to feel numb, to feel whatever I am feeling at the moment

- I have to carry medication and a safety plan with me at all times

- I might go to hospital one day

- I measure my recovery based on my lowest and not from my previous highs

My goals for the next few months, apart from following my treatment & advise from my care team are:

- to meditate or do something mindful (like eating chocolate ice cream without any distraction, one of my favourites)

- to move my body, with something that is light and fun

- to sit in the sun or take a lunch time walk

- to eat a little bit more balanced again

- to listen to my body and take care of my rest

There are no time goals, no targets, I just ride the waves as they come and appreciate that I have a work environment that allows me to recover, a loving husband who is always by my side and a medical team that actually cares about me and new friends online that share my journey.

Thank you all. Take care, Yggy

3 Replies 3

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

My Very Dear Yggy

It has been a pleasure to walk with you. It is an even bigger pleasure to read you reached a place of acceptance with the reassurance of knowing who you are. These are huge achievements and I hope you are giving yourself a pat on the back, or better still, a bowl of chocolate ice cream.

You are managing your life lessons fantastically. May God bless you and keep you.

Mary

Guest_5218
Community Member

Yggy, thats a lovely post. It shows so much acceptance, which I dont believe you had before.

Something appears to be working! I'm really happy for you.

Follow your goals without putting any unnessessary pressure on yourself. They are definitely achievable, and you will get there. As I have said many times before, you are doing everything right, its now just a matter of time and much patience.

Well done ............

I hope today is a good day for you. Maybe some chocolate icecream eaten mindfully while relaxing in the sun?

Sherie xx

Starwolf
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

All I can say is "Well done !". You have indeed come a long way and have much to be proud of. It is a long journey, fraught with difficulties but acceptance makes it a lot easier. It is a huge step forward.

Thank you for sharing your insight. No doubt it will be helpful to many.

You're an inspiration.