FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Sunshine and Fresh Air

OhmeOhmy
Community Member

Good Morning Everyone,

This morning as I lay in bed a battle was being fought within me, do I face the world today or do I hide away and slip down that slope into the waiting darkness. I want to live my life well, I want to feel healthy and happy, I want to feel empowered and I know that the only way that can happen is if I listen to that inner knowing, that gentle persistent whisper that urges me to connect with nature and to move my body. I got up and I went to the gym for the first time in weeks, only half an hour but I moved my body and got my blood flowing faster, sending oxygen and life to every cell in my being, reminding me how good it feels to be alive. As I drove home I knew I had to do more, that persistent knowing again. When I got home I took my jacket off even though its cold and I walked at a good pace down to the lake. I focused on the sun on my skin and the cool air, I listened to the birds and I took a minute to stop and stare out over the water. Tears came to my eyes as I felt gratitude for nature. Nature so giving in its beauty and energy, so cleansing and healing. My mood is better than it has been for several weeks now and I know without a doubt that if I want to feel better I have to listen to the inner knowing and take action. If I don't listen the knowing will get louder to get my attention, it may present as anxiety, it may start screaming at me desperate to to get my attention and guide me back to wellness.

My friends I have been feeling myself sinking back into that scary place for several weeks now, that dark, sad and lonely place that far too many of us are familiar with but today I won the battle, I listened and I took action and I think I will again tomorrow.

May sunshine and fresh air reach every one of you today and every day.

25 Replies 25

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

I've found in my past as a working man with similar desire to slip wonder the blankets, to not imagine the challenge to go to work. Rather one small step at a time.

Rise, shower, deep breathe, then you are more awake and facing the day us easier.

Thankyou for your appreciation of life. You'd love my fav YouTube clip Maharaji Prem Rawat sunset. Give him a try.

Tony WK

Hi Tony,

I just watched that YouTube clip and you are right, I love it.

Nature is so powerful in it's ability to heal but its so simple that we tend to overlook it. We often think my pain is so complicated and intense at times that I must need a complicated cure or answer. Not always, for me today it was fresh air and sunshine.

Thanks for responding, it's nice to be able to share a moment like this and it helps to connect with others when you are fighting to stay out of that dark place

Zeal
Community Member

Hi!

Thanks for your refreshing post!

I'm glad you faced the world today, got moving and appreciated nature. It can be hard to get outside and get moving. I have OCD (anxiety), and I find it hard to motivate myself to exercise and get in the sun. I started walking regularly about two weeks ago, which I have enjoyed. I haven't walked for the past few days because I had an exam yesterday and found it hard with all the rain we're having in my state!

All the best,

SM

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Another one is

Maharaji Prem Rawat the perfect instrument.

He has many clips

They elevate me every time.

Regards

Tony WK

pipsy
Community Member

Hi OhmeOhmy. Like you I am fighting inner battles at the moment with a health scare. I too felt myself slipping, but with sheer willpower, determination, plus the never-ending support from here, my sunshine has returned full strength. I think these life tests are sent to remind us to stay on top, no matter how hard it may get. Depression, if allowed to take hold can be cruel and unending. Fighting does take strength, but when we have emotional support here and personal friends, the fight gets easier. Being able to stay on the top rung of the ladder is a personal victory over depression. More power to you and others fighting inner demons, I include myself here.

Lynda

OhmeOhmy
Community Member

Thanks SM, Tony and Pipsy, the fact that you understand where I'm at and how difficult it can be just to go outside some days really helps. Today is a new day and I will be going to my daughters netball game so will get some fresh air and sunshine there. The wind is freezing but that's ok I will rug up. One day at a time. '

I find my diet contributes significantly to my state of mind too and lately I have been snacking on sugary foods. I was feeling pretty good after getting out yesterday and then last night snacked on junk food which which actually altered my mood negatively so lesson learned and today I will eat well. I'm determined not to slide all the way down that slope and hit rock bottom. After being there several times its terrifying to think of going back there.

Hello OhmeOhmy

I admire they way you can cleanse yourself and looking at the bigger picture. When I need a break I go outside and stand in the sun close my eyes and self energize. Maybe its a type of meditation? Either way I know it works.

A wonderful post :-). Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes sunshine makes a big difference. I can imagine you turning your face up to the sun and smiling. I notice I have to work harder to stay well in winter, at first I thought I was imagining it but now I realise that sunshine on your skin is so important. I went out today however it was to a crowded netball game of my daughters with lots of stuff going on around me and to be honest it didn't work for me today. I have decided to get up in the morning and walk tomorrow by myself if its sunny. I like solitude in nature.

I have ready a fair few of your posts and they (as well as the other people who have posted on this thread) are always so helpful, real and kind. I mostly read and rarely post. This site has been the place I go to when I need to connect to others. In my world I have to be strong, I am the one that holds it together for my family and here I don't have to be. It really helps to have that space in my life.

I hope that every one of you people who post regularly to support others that you are making a huge difference in peoples lives. You are saving people. So many people read and never post but they keep coming back to read because it is a place to draw strength and comfort from. It's a place to be real and raw and to be supported in that. Thank you BB and all the regular posters, you know who you are. I do anyway xo

Hey OhmeOhmy

Thankyou for the support Ohme! Its means a great deal to me and others on the forums to receive a heartfelt response like you have written 🙂 You are in the majority as the bulk of people on the forums read the BB forums and choose not to post which is fine.

I live with my Chow Chow german shep cross (60+kilos) and it really is a bonus to read a post like yours. You mentioned 5 simple words that meant so much......."I like solitude in nature" When I go to the ocean beach near Phillip Island (Kilcunda) I also find peace as you do..in solitude.

Out of respect for you, just some info so you know who you are talking too:-) Acute (had) anxiety since 1983 and depression since 1997. On meds since 1997. (I was in denial prior to 1997 and thought I could 'soldier on'...it doesnt work....not for me anyway.

As you have to be strong (for very good reasons) I wont insult your intelligence with any advice...You dont really need any:-) You are more than welcome to post as many times as you wish...It could many others.

Be 'gentle' to yourself

My kindest thoughts for you

Paulx