FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Store Your Happy Memories Here:

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear All~

What this place is for:
This thread is a tool, a resource, and also I guess a dash of entertainment.

I’ve found that when life is grim that sometimes thoughts of past happiness can create a chink of light in the grey overwhelming press of down. They can help occupy the mind with lighter reflections.

With that in view I invite people to set down a brief passage describing some happy event they look back to with fondness and peace.

They - and others too - can then return to it when they feel the need to glean a little warmth.

It is not a place for gloomy or dire tales, those can go elsewhere.

What to do:
Just set out, as simply as you like, your recollection of some past experience that means something good to you, something you enjoyed, something from safe times.

It can be, like my story below, anything – from an account of visiting grandparents to simply cooking and eating a melted-cheese sandwich in a favorite kitchen – you get to choose.

How to do it:
Write. Write enough so someone else can feel the mood, know what happened, find the goodness. (stop at 2,500 characters please!)

Grammar, syntax, spelling, punctuation are not compulsory, just write as you can – the only important thing is the content - not literary merit. Short or long - it does not matter.

I hope you enjoy, contribute and find a little distraction here when you need it.

Croix

987 Replies 987

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

On the fringe of the CBD here, there is a parkland, & there are parts of it, where I have been thinking, I'd like to go again, because once there, you'd not know you were so close to the city. I had a photo I took, long ago now, (& lost too), which was great, except for one tall building I could see poking up between the tall tree ferns. When I got that photo on my PC, I zoomed up & wiped that building out!

It was so lovely sitting there, by myself, & not hearing people, traffic, just some birds. There was an artificially generated mist, cool & smelling like rain was just beginning. One of my favourite smells.

It won't be the same, but I'd like to go to that parkland again. Maybe they have some part which is still like that little oasis.

mmMekitty

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear mmMektty and All~

I hope you do find that oasis again. For me to have either a mental or physical pool of peace surrounding me is at times a must. To be away from all and simply enjoying nature, eihter restful or powerful, is a true balm.

Do you have any Botanical Gardens within reach?

Croix (who wonders why on earth he should laugh at you playing Brahms Lullaby)

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi mmMeKitty,

The Park you went to Sounds so peaceful...I also do hope that you can visit it again one day soon....

Maybe it won’t be the same in looks, but the bird life and other little creatures will always be their visiting such an oasis in amongst the hustle, bustle and noise of the city...

I am similar to our lovely Croix....when I’m feeling overwhelmed with my emotions and loneliness....I do love sitting outside and listening, watching the bird life...Their sweet songs are always so happy sounding...

Hugs Beautiful lady Kitty 🐱🤗..

Grandy...

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Grandy~

"Their sweet songs are always so happy sounding..."

UM. I'm not sure you have heard our native hens. They make a nose like two rusty cans being rubbed together faster and faster with ever increasing volume. They end up nearly bouncing off their tiny feet in an effort to make the most ferocious sound. When they stop for breath the competition replies from further up the riverbank.

Conversation with Mrs C becomes will nigh impossible.

-C

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Dear Croix..

You got me curious and had to google Australian native hens...Okay I found them...and yes you are correct in your description of their call.....I am so pleased I don’t have any near me....I think after a while my ears would hurt...not to mention my head😁....

kind thoughts dear sir,

Grandy..

I would like to store a happy memory here:

Going to Hawaii in 2019 (pre-Covid of course) with one of my best friends. We reflect upon it often when we are together but so many amazing memories. I always remember the sunshine and the feeling of warmth (both outside and inside) from being happy then.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

With my family, I was in Hawaii for a few hours, a stop-over before continuing on (with another stop-over in Fiji for all of one hour). This was when I was a child, many years ago.

I loved the look of the water as it seemed turquoise just off the beach. & walking out at night, the weather was so warm, 'sultry' would be the right word, but I don't think I'd ever felt a night so warm before. It felt lovely, like a warm blanket.

I wonder if now I would think it too humid?

I don't recall much else of being there. Just saying 'hello' to a little girl about my size, & I think I frightened her. She said nothing, backed away, then turned & ran. Surely I didn't look so scary?

Oh, & we visited a black sand (volcanic sand) beach. Just as strange as looking at the great Salt Lake in Utah during our cross-country road trip.

mmMekitty

A warm blanket! That's exactly how I feel like when I'm in Hawaii (although I completely agree with you that it can get too humid for me sometimes!)

That turquoise water - I miss it so much!

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear All~

It's funny how different things appeal to different people. I can well imagine warm turquoise seas lapping on long sandy beaches.

I've seen such, but it had little to attract me. I guess it may be my youth coming out. Looking down at colder waters, watching the fronds of brown seaweed waving back and forth in the swell, with red anemones, blue/brown crabs, translucent shrimps and more on the bottom among rocks and little patches of sand and gravel. Maybe seeing a fish dart by.

Leaning over looking down with the sound of gulls in my ears together with the wash of the waves.

Croix

That's an extremely good point Croix! Different things and experiences definitely appeal to different people!

I would like to store another happy memory here: when I was young and living in Canada me and my friends would run across the street to the local park, climb trees and play tag! It is such a simple but very happy memory for me!