FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

something that is working for me

Cakes
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi there, This is my 1st time on here. I have been thinking about sharing a few things that are really working for me at the moment. Im 41years old a mother of 2 married. I have  experienced depression.. anxiety and just general mood changes for a while.. on and off   since I was a kid. I know that certain events or situations really tip me over.. but now Im a bit older I can recognise the signs and I can usually catch it in time! The one thing I do that generally keeps me well is exercise.. I know this is just the usual advice.. but I know for a fact.. i'm up on the days I exercise and if I go a few days week without my walk run etc.. I start to slip down that slope. So if you feel flat / low / anxious/ agitated..  get your shoes on and go outside for a walk run swim whatever just move for 20-30mins.. it will buy you some time! I have managed better with exercise than I ever did on medication... just me but just saying.. anyhoo.. I hope you are all having a good day and I'd love to chat on here sometime.

See ya

7 Replies 7

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks Cakes

Agree with you about exercise.

Just a side note, 15 years ago I did just that, walked 10 kms a day in 1 hr 20 minutes. In other words flat out. But in the end I pushed myself too far and had a major meltdown. So that message is- exercise in moderation.

The second thought I have is- consider your physical health and consult a qualified physio person prior to starting.

Tony WK

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Cakes,

Welcome to Beyond Blue and to the Community here. Thanks for sharing your positive message.

I'm trying to get to the pool three times a week and would like to go walking on the other days. Sometimes I manage it and other times I don't.

My work is rather physical some days so I do come home rather tired. I need to be more organised and go for a walk in the morning before I leave for work.

For me, it is sometimes too easy to put things off, or something else takes up my time.

Do you have any suggestions for making walking a daily event? I would appreciate some encouragement and tips on that!

Thanks again for your positive message.

Cheers, from Lauren

MickeyM
Community Member
Hi, Im new 2 & like Cakes, 41, 2 kids, married, mood swings for years. Had bad panic attacks & anxiety a few years back, the panic attacks thankfully have stopped but still have anxiety. When things were really bad, I made a few changes. Definatly excercise, plus switched to decaf coffee, stopped watching crap on TV - i borrowed comedy sitcoms from council library instead. Visualising what i was doing the next day before I went to sleep also helped - it was like i was giving myself a menttal run-through first. 

Cakes
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thanks for replying to me 🙂

Good idea around the mental run throughs and the sitcoms!! thanks for the tips!

Hope you are having a great day 🙂

MickeyM
Community Member

Hi Cakes!

i had a pretty good day, braved the weather & went for a walk & ticked some annoying jobs off my 'to do' list.

part of my anxiety stems from not being able to wake up my Mum who, when I was a teenager, spent a lot of time in hospital after self harm. She's great now, really supportive and inspiring. But even 20 years later with my own kids, I'm terrified that they won't be able to wake me. So my anxiety really hits in the evening before my husband is home. My doc prescribed something to help me sleep but I don't want to take them. My hubby was away last weekend & my doc gave me something else to have on hand 'in case!' I had a really good week & forgot to fill the prescription! Picked it up today & it may cause drowsiness!

He's away this weekend too and I'm trying to be positive!

so...ideas for comedies - my favorite would have to be 'Coupling' an oldie but a goodie! I'm also watching reruns of Sex & the city, and I really enjoy Friends with better lives, but the seasons finished!

I'd appreciate any more suggestions for comedies!

take care!

Jacko777
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thanks for posting Cakes, you have inspired me to get off my behind! Gets the good juices flowing and focuses the mind off the negative for a while. I hope you do hang around here and remind us all to exercise, it is so valuable and too easy to neglect.

Good ideas from you too MickeyM, the visualisations are a great tool and as you say, you give yourself the opportunity to think about how you would choose to respond to the day.

Good work you two!

Jacko

I've been feeling a little run down lately with a cold and also sinus issues. It is amazing how much pain a sinus infection can cause you!

I decided to take Friday night off from our using activity and stayed at home while my husband went out.

Usually I would just push myself to keep going, but sometimes we need the wisdom to slow down to allow our minds and bodies to heal.

Today, Sunday, I have so much more energy and am looking forward to achieving some jobs out in the garden and will go for a walk later.

Looking after myself better, that is something I need to be more aware of.

Cheers to you all from Mrs. Dools, Lauren