FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Social anxiety / dentist phobia

aFox
Community Member

This year I went through opioid detox and it’s left me with very bad anxiety to go anywhere at all I’ve left my partners place maybe 3 times this year. 
im having extreme problems with my teeth, all my back teeth are at the stage of breaking, and rotting. I was on opiates (15years) there’s holes all throughout my other teeth, old fillings have come away and I’m unable to eat. I take over the counter pain relief every 5hrs on very bad days or try twice daily with my other medicines. I’ve been saving for the dentist also but I’m on disability and it’s very difficult. I know I’m eligible for government dental and tried emailing them but I need to re enroll my card details and won’t even be seen ? 

I’ve been dealing with the pain for months and I can’t get myself to go …. I have crippling anxiety… I won’t even get Uber eats because I’m scared of being away from the unit. 
I don’t know what to do ? It’s a constant cycle of hating myself because I sit here thinking I need to bloody do this I’m going crazy 🙄

I’ve not felt the same since my opioid detox it’s like I’m no longer numb to my surroundings and it scares me.

iam diagnosed with Depression and BPD / PTSD .

1 Reply 1

Sophie_M
Hello aFox,

Let us welcome you to our supportive forums’ community and thank you for sharing your experiences. Feeling as though you cannot leave the house in addition to your ongoing dental issues, it must be overwhelming at times.

Congratulations on your opioid detox, this is a wonderful thing, and we are sorry to hear that “no longer being numb” has left you fearful and anxious. Although it may take some time to adjust after detoxing it is a positive thing that you are now experiencing the world without the filter of opioids. Despite your current set back please recognize the achievement you have made. Advice for managing your inner critic.

As you’re currently seeking assistance but are having difficulty leaving the unit have you considered online mental health support? Someone Health is a team of Bulk Billing Psychologists who are available for video and telephone Counselling 7 days a week. And, for most Australians it's free under Medicare.

Beyond Blue are also available for support anytime 24/7, you can contact Beyond Blue either via phone  1300 22 4636 or through Beyond Blue Online Chat.

We encourage you to seek professional assistance to minimize the impact of your current anxiety and to discuss how you are feeling with your GP. In the meantime, please consider trying these Anxiety management strategies. Although this does not assist with the dental issue, we encourage you to reengage with the government dental service to try get assistance sooner.

Thank you again for joining our supportive community and sharing your experiences, we hope you find the shared insights and advice of our members helpful.

Warm regards
Sophie M