FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Recovery Themed Books/TV shows/Movies/Podcasts

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi All

There is a tonne of first-person literature out there telling about experiences of MH.
I've read a tonne of it. And watched so many tv shows and movies on this theme.

Does anyone have any advice of media/books dealing with recovery from MH struggles? I'm really interested also to read about ppl who have survived attempts.

The only book I know about this is Rosie Waterland Every Lie I've Ever Told

I found some support in the chapter on addiction in So Sad Today - but that was otherwise a harrowing book.

Rupi Kaur's poems are quite empowering.

Anyone else got any tips?

29 Replies 29

Sleepy I like that story too. It is written by Charlotte Perkins.

Guest_4643
Community Member
Beating The Blues (book) was something I was told to read, a bit of a self help book with activities. it might help some, idk.

This is a helpful book to understand why I am so sensitive,

The Highly Sensitive Person’s Workbook – Elaine N. Aron Ph.D.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thanks Quirky! amazing.

there is a truly heartwarming movie called "brittany runs a marathon" a true story about a depressed woman who sets a goal to start running. Not what you'd expect though, not glorifying excercise or weight loss as "the cure" at all and has a message related to inner strength and beauty, and the bumps and lessons along the way in healing. loved it. beautiful.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Boudica, loved ur input earlier about Sylvia Plath. It sounds like you could feel for her , which I always felt too. You showed me that. I related to Tulips even before being in a MH hospital , the concepts are deep.

I loved "Morning Song" as well.

Thanks sleepy

I will look up that movie .

enjoy quirky. i saw it in the cinemas in 2019

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

The TV show Russian Doll on netflix has a therapy theme.

It has a notion that we can't fix our problems always but we can bare witness to others and Also be vulnerable to others-that connection is key.

Recently I liked "

on netflix : eighth grade, Amazing movie about feeling isolated as a kid and finding Ur people.

I thought it was excellent.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Loving the podcast from Michael Theo, from Love on the Spectrum, where he interviews a variety of people, including some who have grown through trauma.

He chooses really interesting guests with a lot of depth, its a nice listen