FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Recovery and quitting medication.

reason_22nd
Community Member

Hi all,

I have recently quit medication. I was on the meds for a little less than 6 years.

It was for an acute psychotic episode, then a relapse a year later.

I have made a full recovery and haven't had any relapses in almost 5 years.

When I was really struggling back in '08, I had to go to a mental health hospital.

Being in there, for 6 weeks, I realised that I never wanted to return to that place.

So I did something about my sitch. I started exercising, eating well. I even got through

an apprenticeship, and now still work fulltime. I must say that the medication helped,

but it was really the self drive that helped me. Since all then I have been learning a

language twice a week at nights, riding my bicycle to work and married the most

important girl, who stood by me when I started getting paranoid ideas. I just wanted to

mention the pyschotic episodes were not drug related, they were brought on by daily pressures

compunded by a health scare. When I had the relapse, I also was battling Non Hodgkin's

Lymphoma. I must say having a good insight, having a great shrink (psychiatrist), a feeling of

worth ( a job) and good people near was how I quit medication and have been going up ever since.

Thank you for reading. If anyone needs some help I will do my best to offer some advice.

Peace.

3 Replies 3

LeeC
Community Member

It sounds like you have made excellent progress and have done a fabulous job in getting your life together. Congratulations! O am wondering how you are going with the cessation of medication. I hope to be coming off my medication in the near future, with some trepidation!  I too believe it is my own drive that has led to improvement, but what if it is not????

What was the time frame for withdrawal for you? Did you notice any changes in coming off the medication?

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Lee, your question is a double sided one, ' believe it is my own drive that has led to improvement, but what if it is not???'

It's great that you feel as though you can stop medication, my only concern is that because of your improvement on your drive is this due to this medication which has been able to give you the drive that you wanted, so when you stop taking them do you feel as though you will be able to manage.

I suppose there is only one way to find out, but for a start just cut down your dosage in half and see how you cope.

You will know within a couple of days on how you feel, and if any of the symptoms return then you will have to continue taking them.

I know within 2 days if I don't take my antidepressants, and the reason being that my script has run out, and once I take them again all the crying etc. stops. Geoff.

LeeC
Community Member

Thanks Geoff,

This is only the second time in 20 years that I have been medicated. I suppose that is why I feel I don't need them - and that the medication hasn't been particularly good at working with my symptoms - particularly my motivation which comes and goes. I am also on some pain medication which I feel is ineffective. I'd really like to come off everything and start again with looking at my issues - mental and physical.

I don't want to be on medication for a long period of time, I'd prefer to implement other strategies such as mindfulness, ACT therapy, exercise etc. I know their will be times when medication may be necessary to pick me up, but I don't want to be reliant on it.

I will have a chat to my GP and psychologist about commencing a withdrawal process.

cheers

lee