FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

R U OK Day 2020 - 10 September

SapereAude
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

R U OK Day 2020 is due to be held on September 10. Whilst mental health is always crucial, it takes on new meaning this year under unprecentedetr circumstances.

Don't wait for the official day, but start now. Ask your family, friends and workmates, "R U OK?" Time to reconnect and help others through these tough times.

6 Replies 6

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi SapereAude,

Thank you for your post - while R U OK day isn't for a couple of months it's great that you are bringing attention to it so early. You are clearly in the know!

A really great suggestion and reminder to ask people if they are okay before September.

Just going to link to the official site here. Sometimes it's hard not really knowing how to ask but there's some great resources to look at so it's not so daunting and easier to have that conversation - https://www.ruok.org.au/how-to-ask

rt

Thanks Romantic_thi3f

I hope everyone can jump on board and ask the question, especially someone you haven't been in contact with for a long time. For the next month I'm going to call/email/message at least one person a day that I haven't heard from in a while and check how they are going. It's easy to fall out of touch with people in a busy world but we don't always know the real reasons why. Naturally I'll check in on family /friends too.

Take care.

Hi SapereAude,

I hope that you're doing well - I just wanted to post and see how you are going with checking in with family and friends?

R U OK? day is getting really close now so I hope more people will do the same.

The other resource I wanted to suggest (especially if other people are looking!) is Are you bogged mate? It's targeted at farmers but I think it's handy for men in general, and the idea is so similar to R U OK that it feels like it's worth sharing - https://www.areyouboggedmate.com.au/where-to-get-help/

Take care,

Hello fellow bb people.

Just re posting this great thread as a reminder that this must be happening Thursday this week?

I think it is wonderful what your plan is to reach out SapereAude.

Wish i had a friend like you. I have so called friends who have their busy family lives, but know i am alone, and shut out from my family. And still never bother to reach out or keep connection. It is always one sided. Which i have realized more through Covid. So i think it is more important than ever this year.

I have seen romanticthief has linked in some resources. I will check it out and encourage others too.

Take care everyone and remember Thursday 🙂

Thank you for this thread.

Today is the 10th so hopefully everyone remembers to reach out to others today and check in.

It doesn't matter whether you know someone or not... you can still have a massive impact on someone if they need support. Sometimes it is easier to confide in a stranger than someone you know.

I think the key is considering how to ask in an approachable way for an individual.

Am wondering...What sort of questions do you find work best?

Ask if I'm ok and I nearly always brush it off with 'fine' (or sometimes 'getting there').

But ask how I'm 'holding up lately' and I'm more likely to let down the walls for a moment or two.

What sort of things have worked for you?

Nat

SapereAude
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Ironically yesterday turned out to be my last day at work. They put on a virtual morning tea and afternoon drink (and e-card and small gift) which was kind. Thankfully I have been able to source another job at another organisation but I feel for those on fixed term contracts who won’t be getting extensions.

As an HSR at my old workplace I reminded our OHS committee to check in with their teams and had a brief chat with my team. Given it was my last day it was a bit deflating though knowing they were losing a team member. Today I’m in hospital with another infusion treatment after dropping off work equipment at the office. So it’s a strange feeling. I’m okay but worried about the others going forward.

I hope you all managed to take a moment to check on and support others (if you felt up to it).

take care 🙂