FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Our own worse enemy

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Your worse enemy by simply being ourselves.

One of the symptoms you can experience with ADHD is talking before thinking things through and when talking (especially with anxiety)we screw up words.

"Foot in mouth"

With anxiety added into the mix we can appear totally different when explaining our thoughts to what we intended. This is even worse when tired, stressed or upset.

If some of us think about our lives overall we look back at a "train wreck". Seems its full of basic errors and also seems these basic errors are not errors others make but I question that. Id suggest the errors those without any mental illness are diffetent errors and different conflicts. Eg

I dont know the statistics but I'd assume those with mental illness are less likely to enter into operating their own business due to stress, commitment and disruption issues. If 1 in 3 small businesses collapse then those errors are felt more often by the mentally healthy.

The mentally ill restrict their social circle. We cant tolerate toxic relationships. The mentally well can, maybe 10 fold more contacts so it would be safe to assume they have greater numbers of conflicts but they can tolerate such wars as a daily event....water off a ducks back.

The difference between us and them is that we absorb our errors, stew them, dwell on them and store them in sight of our memory. The year it happened and the error we made.

The mentally unwell are mostly permitted to operate as everyday people, we can work, spend, buy, move house, have partners, drive etc. We are functional in society however there are many normal activities we carry out that, due to our illnesses we should have guidence like financial commitments and social events...but thats hard to give up, freedom of choice. Carers can intervene but not often successful unless a spouse.

The first steps forward in this regard is to know your limitations and errors you're prone to make and to have a confidant to confide in. Eg with financial matters and a reputation of poor choices research patience and consulation before purchasing that nrw car.

In summary we make as many mistakes in our lives as so called normal people but we dwell on ours more and time is our only digestive mechanism for errors. Even time is hard because??? It takes time!. We need to get advise/opinions more often and work on throwing those past rocks in the river.

We have enough difficulty with the present without carrying those rocks of the past.

Tony WK

14 Replies 14

demonblaster
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Very true White, we chew over stuff, bloody yrs ago stuff too, so hard to throw those rocks in the river.

I'm finding as time gets on I'm thinking less often but still do about stuff yrs ago, a comment that hurt, god move on already aye lol.

Thx 🙂

Hi DB

Youre right, so hard to shake off the old stuff

When my therapist said "when are you going to throw those rocks in the river" it hit home. I dont know about others but straight direvt comment do have an effect on me.

Tony WK

Tony,

What a great thread and I can relate to it .

Foot in mouth is what I suffere from a lot and even when I think clearly it sometimes comes out in a way it can upset others in a way I never imagined. Also when I write emails, because there are no emotions and tones, my emails are sometimes misunderstood.

I can throw some rocks in the river but I always seem to keep some in my backpack.

I find comments that hav a concrete analogy rather than an abstract one are easier to understand.

Quirky

Quirky, you are spot on

Twenty years ago working in security 72 hours a week I'd finushed building my house by myself. No floor coverings and very tired I thought I could get a young person in town that was unemployed to do some house cleaning, prepare meals I could take to work etc.

A co worker at worked asked me if there was any jobs around for his 18yo daughter. "I'll give her a job" was my reply. He refused to talk to me and held the grudge permanently. Eventually a meeting was held to sort it. When I gave my account of the exchange he added a sexual bit, a grunt prior to my statement that I'll give her a job. Total lie. He insinuated I had sexual intent.

I saved my job, indeed later others also found him over reactive and twisting words!

This type of twisting of meaning of words is infuriating and pushes our faith back further and further.

However we cant change our nature of giving trust.

A friend of mine is a policeman. He told me I'm too trusting. He said his policy is trusting no more than the fingers on one hand. I think we can have good relationships without having to judge if they are trustworthy or not however. We can leave trust until they prove it.

As for foot in mouth it does drop with age aka wisdom. So there's hope quirky

Tony WK

I didn't see any harm whatsoever in you saying I'll give her a job. That's right too, it's not always us saying the wrong thing, others perceive things differently too.

yeah good analogy, I've still got a fair few rocks in the backpack. Hate that my head keeps bringing up crap from yrs ago, just wants to continuously hurt but not as much as it use too. Daghhhh it's the beast, not us, not how we wanna feel

Tony,

thanks for your story.

I am only a year or so younger than you, so am hoping this wisdom that comes with age kicks in very soon!

DB, being misunderstood is the story of my life , but people who know me know I have good intentions.

I find stuff I have not given a thought occurs to me when I try to sleep, so I end up dwelling on it instead of turning it off.

Quirkyxx

That's right Q, when people know us and know there's no intentional harm aye

Know exactly what you mean about when you wanna sleep lol, swine aye 😄 We need a switch to turn brain on/off, fascinates me it never stops.

Hi

I used to have trouble sleeping. Then took my phone to bed, did some replies on this site and get tired then sleep. Its a routine that works. If I just try to sleep the mind wanders.

Tony WK

Yeah we need to be doing something all the time, everything we do involves the mind.

Was waiting for bus other day and realised I was flipping coins in hand and moving foot back and forth on seat I was on, made me aware ALL the time we're doing stuff, eating, watching, drinking, moving, breathing, thinking

I'm learning from thinking and here White, when I was confirmed BP I said I'm gunna beat it, psych said it can't be done, I reckon cause maybe it hasn't, doesn't mean it can't be. Getting there.
It's about emotiional control, we've all got mental strength.

Gotta choof

Go easy 🙂