FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Officially giving up the drink!

DJPTigerland140414
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

It doesnt matter if you dont drink for 2 days or 2 years some people and alcohol were not supposed to go together and i am certainly one of those people. We tell ourselves justifications etc to have another drink but it always seem to end up the same way. The morning after the negative thoughts and feelings kick into overdrive and its a feeling i wouldnt wish on anyone else.

I spoke to my wife about it and its time i give the drink up completly as all it does is feed my depression like a starving junkyard dog. If i want to move forward i need to divorce myself from alcohol for the long term. I didnt even make a fool out of myself for once which is rare but still these thoughts and feelings were waiting for me when i opened my eyes to face the day. I used to think i drank because thats what young people do at the age of 18 and i believed this for 8 long years. I soon realised i was drinking to cover up my low self esteem and lack of confidence in my self. Drinking gives you unlimited confidence until you pass out or wake up the next morning.

Im not dismissing alcohol completly as some people can control it as they control over their mind and thoughts where as i dont have that ability unfortunatly i needed to make the tough decision. Whatever it may be in life we come to a cross roads and need to make a call to better ourselves.

I feel relieved to be honest in making this decision because i know it will only benefit me in my daily struggle with depression. Im naturally an anti social person and alcohol was my tool to being social if only for a 24 hour period. I will need to develop other ways to improve my social skills.

Its easy to say i will never drink again but when you actually mean it and realise within yourself that this time you mean it is a big step forward well it is for me. My advice for anyone is if your not using the drink for the right reasons such as to mask other issues or getting over life experiences etc seek help and talk to someone before it can begin to take over your life.

Happy new year!

6 Replies 6

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello DJPTigerland, it's not too many people that can come to this conclusion, but yes when we turn 18 we become adults so 'off come the corks', but along the way it creates difficulties in our personality.

We do get to a cross-road in life where a decision needs to be made and it's certainly not an easy one, but once we know we change completely when drinking alcohol and that it upsets and disturbs your wife a decision has to be made.

Few people can drink socially after they have drunk to extreme everyday, they try it but one drink leads onto another so it's back to where you started, drunk too much and making comments that you regret the next day.

To say you will never drink again maybe an optimism you may break one day, but if you do then all your previous thoughts will come rushing back but don't berate yourself, you will remember what has happened before.

Alcohol for someone who can not handle it is a weapon of destruction, but really pleased you have come to this decision, and I hope you can help out with other posts concerning addiction. Geoff.

Bethie
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi

TO say I will never drink again is a big big statement. Even 17 years 3 months since my last drink I still wount say those words for fear of a down hill spiral over my own expectations. It's just for today I choose not to drink.

Depression is sadly often caused because alcohol is a depressant and depletes the ceratonin in our brains. Anti depressants are highly recommended.

Getting sober is not a easy path but its rewarding

Hey Geoff,

Yeah I have always felt in life you learn lessons the hard way and in relation to alcohol I certainly have. I love who I am whilst i'm drinking but despise who I am for the days proceeding.

Thanks again for reading my post and replying its much appreciated.

Hey Bethie

My word that's an amazing effort that's a real credit to you.

Today I choose not to drink I like that I might use that also. I am thinking about going back on anti depressants again regardless of my decision to not drink anymore.

It felt so rewarding even making the decision hey.

Once again high five for your efforts that's truly a great effort.

Dan

hi DJPTigerland, who you are while you are drinking is a hidden fact of how you actually feel you are, sure it maybe exaggerated, but sometimes, why not, and then the next day we tend to feel embarrassed to have mentioned how good we are. Geoff.

Hey Geoff,

I tend to be embarrassed about how I acted in front of other people and then am to afraid to face those people again. Because im naturally shy I feel embarrassed for acting like a clown and being so out of character I don't know how to face these people again and microanalyze every little thing I said and did and begin to feel depressed.