FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Not quite a journal

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

One of the things I write in replies is about maintaining a journal of sorts. It is not quite a journal though because the contents. Each day I start with

-three things to look forward to

-three positives and positive qualities shown

-one pleasure, accomplishment and gratitude

The thing about this journal is that the smallest things are valid. For example, brushing teeth, showering, making breakfast, drinking coffee or hot chocolate.

Starting off can be hard. But after a while it becomes easier. I still have problems some days. On these days phrases like "the small things" can still have a positive vibe.

And this journal does not take long to write either. Over the next days, I will write my real entries here. If you want to add yours here, please do.

Something like this practiced each day eventually should rewire our brains to think more positively. Best thing is that it is cheap. All you need is pen and paper and yourself.

The fun starts tomorrow.

39 Replies 39

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Go Wolfy

Hi sw.

Great idea , hope it helps you and others out.

l started my thread with a similar idea but tbh, l feel as though l must be mad bc l just have so much happening l literally hold back and only talk about a little bit of it but l think even that people just dunno what to say to, l think it's just too much. Even l'm embarrassed at the amount of crap. And l leave 1/2 of it out.

So l hope yours helps you and others too , should be a great idea usually.

All the best.

rx

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Smallwolf, winter time, the heater comes on first, then a cup of tea while giving my puppie a smacko then I can sit down to the pc.

Good thread.

Geoff.

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks for the replies.

3 things to look forward to are - lunch with a friend, midday service, chatting with people on beyond blue.

One possible pleasure is watching the sun rise before I get out of bed.

At the end of the day will merge all into a single post as the entry I have in my book.

And getting out of bed is a positive.

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ordinarily I would do this before bed time, but as I wil not get home until late, will do this now...

pleasure - sipping a hot chocolate after lunch

gratitude - being able to have lunch with "O" and talk about myself and depression.

accomplishment - being able to work from college despite really average internet connection and not getting too frustrated.

Positives...

- completing some work item to a position I am happy with

- lunch in the sunshine (appreciation)

- the hot chocolate mentioned earlier

- seeing smiling faces

- new music to listen to

- the small things**

** this are things like drinking fresh water, coffee, good conversations, brushing teeth, recharging phone, youtube

If you have questions or comments, or want to add something else here, feel free to add your own contribution.

Tim

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Why write a journal like this?

The more I dwell on the negative the worse I will feel about myself. If, however, I remind myself of all the positives each day, then not only does it reduce the number of negative thoughts but might actually allow me to feel more positive about life.

I am quite sure that there will be relapses. In fact something happened two weeks ago and for the next week found it difficult to find anything positive to write. But when I said this to my psych, I was reminded of all the small things each day. Not everyone showers each day. Not everyone brushes their teeth each day. Going for a walk. If you can see daily activities in a different light, there is a possibility that we with a different perspective, things won't be sooo crap.

But this is only one tool among many. I hope you might get something from this

Tim

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Good idea for a thread Tim.

Here are my positives contributions for today -

• Slept from about 4.00am to 9.00am, then again in the afternoon. Nice to have some sleep at last.
  • Made a slow cook pea, bacon bone and veggie soup (yum)
  • Picked fresh veggies from my own garden - wonderful feeling
  • Thought of an idea for a thread for BB, composed and posted it
  • Cleaned the bird bath for the willie wagtail for its afternoon bath
  • The small things - getting out of bed, showering, making a fresh herb and garden salad for breakfast on the back deck with local bird life

Feel good after thinking of all the lovely things from today.

PamelaR

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Try again...

Pamela - Thanks for that list. Given me some ideas for future list. Some things that I do during the day, I do because I "have to" but can also be seen as positives. What was the thread that you started?

For today... the three things to look forward to are

• hot shower
  • first coffee
  • coffee with friend in the afternoon

I had a late(ish) night , so the first items on the list exist to wake me up a bit and make me presentable for the last item. In recognizing the small things, a different outlook on the day is possible.

What are you looking forward to today?

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Pleased I gave you some ideas. Thread is called Triggers under PTSD and trauma.

PamelaR