FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New Year's Resolutions anyone?

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Beautiful forum users,

We're several weeks into 2023 already, and I just wondered if anybody had any New Year's resolutions that they would be willing to share here. Hopefully there's not already a post like this, I'd be rather embarrassed.

I always try to make an effort to do some resolutions or goals, in the interests of trying to reset my mental health and wellbeing at the beginning of each new year. "New year, new me", if you will.

A few of my goals:

1. Go to bed earlier and wake up earlier
  2. Try and keep a consistent gym schedule (3 days a week)
  3. Cut out junk food as much as practical
  4. Take advantage of career opportunities as much as practical
  5. Make time for passions regularly
  6. Meditate every few days to stay grounded

Please feel free to share if you have any!

SB

7 Replies 7

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi SB

I don't do 'resolutions', just sometimes I will make decisions that can be fixed as if in concrete. These can be anytime of the year.

I do intend to get myself an eliptical cross trainer. It would be good if NDIS will support my need for one in my home, but in the event they say 'no', I'm going to get one anyway. Waiting for my NDIS plan review is taking time, delaying me getting the machine, so, I'm thinking, I'd rather not have decided to see if NDIS would help. I'd've had my machine for Xmas 2022. Instead I'm waiting & not feeling I'm able to do enough exercise here in my little flat.

I have already made changes to my eating habits. & junk food, being totally impractical 'food' as it is, will really be a very rare thing in my life from now on. Yes, I get cravings for the salty or the sweet, but because I have decided to look after myself, to care for myself & treat myself better, I can resist much more.

I'm thinking the food itself isn't so hard to resist, it's when it's a friend offering such food.

I want my NDIS plan to afford me more hours with support workers to get out more, especially for exercise, the local gym, I hope, too, although I already know I will have to pay gym membership myself - it's the getting out & about that I need the help with.

I need to be a healthier me, for me, for my future.

Hugzies

mmMekitty

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi SB, mmMekitty and all reading,

I find my depression messes with my ideas about trying to improve my life, implementing my resolutions to do things differently  and supposedly better can set me back instead of forward.

I certainly agree that having set goals/resolutions has its benefits. I just need to make them achievable and possible. If I don't meet my own standards for a day or two, then that is okay as well. I can try harder the next day.

I certainly commend people who are able to stick to their goals and achieve a better life for themselves. I congratulate you SB for being able to achieve your resolutions. The goals you have shared with us will certainly enhance your life and those of others who may choose to follow your example.

One of my goals at present is to go for a walk every day.

I'd like to eat more healthily so will concentrate on that.

Getting help for my depression is high up there as well as a goal. 

Ensuring I make time for pleasurable activities would be a huge advantage as well.

Thanks for a great thread SB. Regards to all from Dools

Eagle Ray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi SB, mmMeKitty and Dools

It’s great to read about your resolutions, thoughts and plans.

I’ve realised my resolution is very simple:

To live life according to what I know intuitively.

It’s like I’ve had an inner knowing about things in the past, but it was too easily overridden by external factors pushing or pulling me in a particular direction.

So I plan this year to listen to my inner voice and follow what feels right intuitively.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear sbella,

Years ago I used to make some New Years Resolutions..not anymore though, I would let myself down to much by setting them..I would do good for a few weeks, but then I suppose I could say, life interfered with them….and those promises I made myself flew out the window and the window slammed down fast, to keep them away…

Now…well now, I don’t think of it as a new year, to me it’s just another day added to the days, that constantly roll by after each other…. while I do my best to live/survive the best I can on each day I’ve been given to live…..No promises to myself means no disappointing myself by not following them through…

Each day is a new beginning for us…for us to do what we feel to do, whether it’s to eat healthier, exercise more, chill out watching tv, finishing that project we started years ago….tomorrow isn’t promised to any of us….if I’m lucky enough to be given a new day…and feel up to doing those things I mentioned above…I might just do one or more of them…not because of a New Years Resolution…but because I wanted to…

My kindest thoughts dear sbella and everyone..

Grandy..

livi_mivi
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey SB,

Thank you for sharing your new year's resolutions! I have to say, with the new year brings a new opportunity to reassess and figure out what it is that we want to keep or change. 

For me, I have never been the type of person to set resolutions but upon reflection of 2022, I've discovered that there are a few areas that I would like to work on this year. These are: 
1. Prioritising my physical and mental health - I would always get so busy with work and life that I wouldn't make the necessary appointments 

2. Exploring potential hobbies - I always get stumped when people ask me what my hobbies are and there are certain activities that I've been wanting to try so I want to make the effort this year

3. Stop using my phone first thing in the morning - I've started setting alarms on my Google Home so that I don't have to reach for my phone first thing in the morning! So much more refreshing this way. 

These are my biggest three that I can think of. Best of luck to everyone in achieving your goals for the year 🙂

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Sbella02,

Thank you for sharing - such a great idea! Some of mine are:

1. Put all my energy into uni and my thesis 

2. Exercise more at the gym 

3. Save money

4. Enjoy life in the moment

Jaz xx

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

mmMekitty, Dools, Eagle Ray, Grandy, Livi, Jaz, and everyone reading,

Thank you all so much for your responses! It's always inspiring to see what others have to say with regards to New Year's resolutions, whether you engage with them or not. mmMekitty, totally agree about being offered food by friends. Good luck with your exercise endeavours, hopefully the NDIS can provide the support that you need.

Dools, I also agree with you - it's okay if we have a few days of not meeting goals or achieving what we thought we would. Even when I'm at the gym, I only do what my body will allow me to, unless it's a day where I feel like taking on a challenge. Your goals are very similar to mine too. Best of luck!

Eagle Ray, listening to your inner voice is so important. It's part of understanding and accepting who we are - knowing our limits, strengths, weaknesses, what makes us happy etc. 

Grandy, another great point. I often find that I'll set all these resolutions and my progress drops off by the middle of the year, hence why I'm trying to stay committed to them this year. Like you, I also think it's important to live day by day as well, and take life as it comes. 

Livi, very much relate to the phone goal. Maybe I should adopt that one too, ha. Screen time is a big thing for me, particularly in the morning. Thank you for sharing!

Jaz, as somebody who is also pursuing a thesis this year, I'm with you. And saving money is another fantastic one, maybe I'll add that to my list as well. Best of luck with uni!

Thank you everybody for sharing your resolutions/opinions, always a pleasure reading through your responses. x

SB