FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

need someone to talk to but am ok

car10001
Community Member

hi everyone

am ok just reaching out.

was just wondering how people know and what they experience to know when it may be time to leave job (close that chapter) and move onto another (start the next chapter).

many of you lot know that am at some point wanting to give up hospitality and move onto other things while still capable and be own boss.

sometimes things happen or dont go how you expect and you tell yourself not much longer or something else and to just try and hang on.

will very likely be giving up hospitality as soon as it sells or closes as have other commitments and responsibilities and other work goals and feel after 14 years. nearly 15 that its time to take a break and move on and concentrate on those.

grandparents are needing help and needing to be able to help when needed and have local bingo commitments and want to do other work.

also the boss makes things in her shop and other friends try it and miss out and feel doing your own is only way and that am going to have to spend money that dont really have at moment to buy own kits and gear and supplies.

how do you find friends to share contents with and a place if you dont have your own place just yet without continually booking cabins (still book one maybe every few months but if its every week or fortnight costs add up).

what could you do to find the money.

just trying to hang on until place sells or closes and you keep telling yourself probably wont be much longer and to just hang on.

do feel positive that the other work is going to work out great however could be like a cousin with his shed building business and take a while to pick up.

sometimes you feel a little left out.

what could you do.

when you look up in google clues that a employee is about to leave or is thinking of leaving some sites list getting new certificates and education as one clue.

why would that be a clue when sometimes you can get further education and certificates to benefit your current job or other commitments, because of that you wouldnt think its always a clue.

thanks

33 Replies 33

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello.

As someone that has changed jobs, moving from computing to something totally different ... it was when I lost passion for the job I had. It was also giving me anxiety attacks (mild?) each day when I started work. The stress levels were high (for me). I was grumpy. There were many other issues.  This was happening for many months (perhaps building up over years). 

And there is also fear about what to go to ... ? Which can be a different type of anxiety!

I also did more study before making that leap.

It is also not something I would do lightly either. 

How are you feeling about your job?

what could you do.

when you look up in google clues that a employee is about to leave or is thinking of leaving some sites list getting new certificates and education as one clue.

why would that be a clue when sometimes you can get further education and certificates to benefit your current job or other commitments, because of that you wouldnt think its always a clue.

also the boss makes things in her shop and other friends try it and miss out and feel doing your own is only way and that am going to have to spend money that dont really have at moment to buy own kits and gear and supplies.

how do you find friends to share contents with and a place if you dont have your own place just yet without continually booking cabins (still book one maybe every few months but if its every week or fortnight costs add up).

what could you do to find the money.

will be finishing up and closing that chapter as soon as the shop closes or sells and the owners moved out

hi

this may or may not have been asked

what would be a solution to make some friends while working in a industry that works different hours to everyone else until am able to get out and get into a industry with better hours and that you are able to plan ahead and know when you work and not possibly be called in on days off.

how do you find friends to hang around with and friends to travel and see and whatever as am feeling left out.

just want some friends to go and do things with and am 40 in less than 5 years and feeling like its taking forever and is never going to happen.

what can be done to make things happen faster before being so desperate if things havent already headed that way.

what can be done until am out the current job which normally works different hours to everyone else and if the new owner wants to keep old staff or you get close to your 20 years how do you tell either owner you dont plan to stay and thank them for everything.

the food industry doesnt give much of a life and cant wait to get out and onto other things.

can understand why so many gave notice in the food industry in last few years after not being back for long after shutdown and would have done same if it wasnt for everyone.

how does someone survive those last weeks or last months or survive a notice period in work.

also some of you may know by now that am wanting to go onto other things for work.

you may or not know that the owner of the place am working at has it for sale and while it is sad have however accepted that after 14 years of 7 days a week (so far) that its time for them to do it and for some of us to do other things for work while we still can.

just trying to hang on

Hi Car1001,

The benefit of being old is you see how things turn out and one thing I know now, too late, is sticking to the one job makes your life easier as you get older. The people I see who are content and set up, stayed with the same job all the time, got better at it and now, pretty much can relax. So, stick with hospitality, there are infinite opportunities everywhere. Just do the day in day out, sounds tedious, it is, for everyone, but trust me, like compounding interest, it will pay off in spades in the future, which will come.

Keep it simple, stick with it. When it's hard, know it's hard for everyone, it really is, but each day you stick with it, the easier it becomes. I wish I took my own advice but because I didn't, I now have the wisdom to know, there is more value in staying with things.

OMD.

Hi Also am feeling like am a bit behind in work goals all because have done what boomers did with their jobs and stayed in the hospitality job for years and years instead of starting planning sooner. Would that be what you get for ignoring clues that it is time to think about moving on and just pushing through until you can’t stand it anymore or something else happens or both (boomers stayed in jobs for years and ignored clues and just kept going until they couldn’t stand it anymore or something else happens). Am a bit behind in work goals and just want to catch up and even that’s becoming too much to ask some days. How would you catch up on goals and commitments.

how do you survive a notice period or hang on for those last few weeks until sale or closure to finally be able to move on to something else as just want to move on and do something else

WhyBee
Community Member

I left my career as a software developer working for soul sucking insurance companies. The pay was good, but I didn't feel like it was adding value to my life, it was a means to an end, and it worked for a while until I got very depressed about work to the point I was in tears - which then I knew I had to quit regardless of the money.

Money does not buy happiness - learned through experience. Money is needed to survive, but quality of life, doing something that matters to you is also a part of taking care of yourself and many of us neglect it for the money.

I've since moved into field I love and was my passion. Since then I've workd some pretty stressful times, long hours, but 22 years on I am still in love with my line of work. It aligns with me, my interests and my talents.

I didn't transition right away I worked my normal job honing my skills starting up a side business until I felt that I could be hired full time.

Basically similar story to SmallWolf.

car10001
Community Member

how do you hang on those last few weeks until sale or closure or survive notice period

WhyBee
Community Member

That's just it, you know you have to.. try to change your perception. Perception alters how you think about your situation and you can use this mind hack to let go of a lot of stuff to make it through the difficult period. 

You know it will end, you can and will endure and then it will be done. A few weeks is not a lot of time. Make sure you look after yourself too - do things you enjoy, spend time with people that lift you up, take up meditation to help quiet the mind.

Also search for some of the topics you struggle with via Sadhguru : google, you tube - he has a lot of smart and wise ways of tackling perception shifts a lot of very good information in his talks on youtube. You may find some advice in there that helps you deal with things.

With catching up on goals prioritize the ones you will get peace from the most and tackle them. Goals should be reached for but you may not reach them - that is acceptance and everyone has to accept they can't do everything. That will bring peace. It is trying which is important. If you try then you have the chance to succeed, if you do not try for fear of not succeeding you have already failed.

As for meeting friends you can join local social groups - meetup.com has many doing activities you enjoy. Find common interests that you are passionate about. 

car10001
Community Member

How do you setup a meetup locally if there’s none in your area setup