FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Need sleeping tips as a new mum

Angienewmum
Community Member
So I finally welcomed my newborn almost 4 weeks ago ,it's been a hard slog with some postnatal depression but found myself not being able to fall asleep during the day when the baby is sleeping with the result being just 2 -3 hours in the early evening,Ive tried sound therapy, supplements,juices,eye masks,teas,wine.Now it just seems when I try to fall asleep I become hyper anxious .Does anyone have any tips or ideas to achieve falling asleep quickly and also during the day?I wish to try alternative ways before thinking about any type of medication.
6 Replies 6

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hi. just a mere male here. And congratulations.

I cannot really say that I know what it would be like for you.I cam imagine that this would be difficult and tiring time - reading your post I can remember my wife was tired. Initially it might have been hard to comprehend, but I got it.

All I can remember that when my both of my kids were young I did the night shift for a number of reasons one of which is that I was closer the door and would hear them first and them my wife is partially deaf as well.

In order for me to get to sleep at night I stopped coffee mid afternoon. Unlike the rest of my family I spend little time on my phone as well. Is the room cool? can you split duties with your husband/partner?

and if you are getting those anxious thoughts when trying to get to sleep that probably won't help.

If you want to chat more ... ?

Tim

if there a mothers groups you could join and perhaps get ideas from others.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Angienewmum.

Congratulations on your beautiful new baby...

I used to be a heavy sleeper, nothing much woke me up..Then along my first baby...and my away went my heavy sleeping....I think this happens to all new mums...the slightest sounds awake us..

My children have all left home with their own families and my sleep is now heavy again.....

I started listening to sleep stories a year ago, and because I am listening to a soft voice and the beautiful place the story takes me to..I fall asleep with 10-15 minutes after the story starts, because it relaxes my mind....If you want to give this a try....it’s on you tube..search Dan Jones sleep stories....

Not sure if I have helped you at all..I only wished I knew about them when my children were babies....

Wishing you all the best wishes I can for you and your beautiful family...

We do have a sleep thread on the forums...if you search Sleep in the search bar..top of this page, their are so many good suggestions on how others in the community here have managed and suggested different sleep techniques...

Grandy...

DedicatedToHealth
Community Member

Congrats Angienewmum on your baby!

I have not been able to sleep well at night and rarely during the day with all my babies. Here's what did help for me:

if you don't want to sleep - don't. Forcing it was counterproductive for me. If I was hyped up-anxious I tried burning off that energy with quick exercise and housework (I know, I know, mummas are meant to sleep when baby sleeps but anxiety doesn't follow that rule).

If you want your body to feel like it's sleeping/resting/re-energising do yoga, meditation, soft, enjoyable music, sit outside in the sun, do some deep breathing in an armchair....basically anything calm, relaxing.

soon your body will give you signs when you are sleepy and it may get easier. When this happened, I immediately went to bed, it works, except for when others interupt.

avoid coffee or anything that stimulates you.

some ppl swear by lavender spray, eating a high carb meal, warm milk, darkening a room, turning off all noise, putting on white noise music... every person is individual.

Some people suggest natural supplements that are safe.

good wishes for your sleeping and with your new baby.

Angienewmum
Community Member
Thanks all for the tips,I will have a look at the sleep forums.my baby girl has a bout of purple crying so now sleep is even more difficult to navigate

Thank you for the support,our baby girls got purple crying at the moment so it's even more difficult,we moved here in regional Victoria in March from Qld so all our physical support is unable to attend due to border closure.Ive been told it starts getting a fraction easier after 3 months.Ive stopped drinking coffee again and my husband does pitch in when he is able.at the moment I'm trying what some people have recommended lavenayr spray ,natural supplements ,running/exercising and sound therapy.Ive also taken up your recommendation of less phone use as everyone back in Qld wants to see pictures of the baby and looking for something to do when I'm feeding the baby at 1am to 8am .

Butterfly20
Community Member

Hello Angienewmum,

First of all congratulations on your little baby. I am a first time mum, though my baby is 10months now so I can relate to the lack of sleep issue. The first 3 months were the toughest. However I found that even when my son started sleeping through the night i still struggled sleeping due to thoughts and anxiety.

Things that I find useful are: dimming the lights and putting essential oil in diffuser combined with hot cup of tea and listening to meditations/bedtime stories or reading a book. Also, limiting coffee to just one cup in the morning. Also getting sunlight/fresh air every day for at least 30min can help. I have the app ‘insight timer’ and ‘breethe’ so i just keep listening to that because hearing people talk calmly distracts me from my own thoughts that trigger anxiety.