FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mindfulness: What Is It? (Even if you dont know please post so we can help grow the forums accordingly)

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Everybody

This is only the basic dictionary definition...

"Mindfulness is a state of active, open attention on the present. When you're mindful, you observe your thoughts and feelings from a distance without judging them good or bad. Instead of letting your life pass you by, mindfulness means living in the moment without judgement"

• Please be as blunt you wish....If you dont have an idea about mindfulness it would be great if you could let us know
  • If mindfulness hasnt worked/or is too broad a concept for you it would great if you can let us know your thoughts too
  • If mindfulness has helped you, please help others to help themselves by posting how you have embraced this mindset

It goes without saying that the forums are a judgement free zone and I really hope that everyone can jump in and have their say

Your input is highly valued no matter how you respond to this topic. There are no experts here...New Posters are Most Welcome!!

My Kindest Thoughts

Paul

1,355 Replies 1,355

Hi Everyone! New members are always welcome to share their thoughts too!

Hi LorenaC.....Welcome and thankyou for your super helpful post 🙂

LorenaC mentioned 'The best way that i can experience and understood mindfulness was thinking and living the present moment but also be aware that the mind want to be jumping from the past to the future and vice versa, and as part of mindfulness we have to accept that'

my kindest

Paul

Hi all,

Loved the possum anecdote Sleepy! It reminded me of how I put up my hammock the other day, hung it in the mango tree (huge old tree) and was just out there sitting in it and noticed a female eastern spinebill honeyeater (so pretty and little) just hopping around happily. I eased back to lay down and just watched it for awhile. It really took me outside of myself, y'know? Changed my perspective on life, briefly but dramatically. LOVELY!

Not weighing in on the religious talk really, but a line in a book recently read said that the highest prayer was to listen. i thought that was quite excellent.

Cheers,

J*

Hey J*

Its always great to read your posts and for mentioning.....' the highest prayer was to listen'

Spot on Jstar and thankyou so much for leaving religion out of the discussion as it isnt relevant to why I wrote this thread topic

Just for your interest...Dale Carnegie wrote a book in 1936 that mentioned that the ability to listen is rare and is the foundation to successful communication

Nice1 J*

my kindest

Paul

Hi everyone!

I was watching a Korean drama and they mentioned a mindfulness technique based off Kungfu Panda! (It was quite random but very cute).

It involves closing your eyes, breathing deep and saying 'inner peace'. Does anyone remember that from the movie?

I thought that was interesting so I wanted to post that here!

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Be. Here. Now.

With or without the fullstops? Three words. Three sentences? A way to get to the present, not thinking the past or future. A mantra. To find a moment, even if brief, calm.

Hi Everyone! New posters are always welcome too!

Hi Tim....Nice1

you mentioned "Be. Here. Now." Even with a period (fullstop) between the sentences....its super helpful..even to some people that have chronic anxiety ✔✔✔

my kindest always...Paul

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello J*,

Thank you for your post. It has quite caught my attention.

I'm not at all religious, but that idea is one worthy of close contemplation. Too often I heard people talking about prayer in terms of asking for something, talking to, or praising to, but what would be so wrong with listening?

If you did, Listen, for whatever is coming in, rather than it bing about what you want, or worship, then, I think it could be a way to feel in the moment & you'd be meditating on your immediate world. You'd be still, quiet & receptive.

Not sure I will ever succeed, but that goal would be something to work toward. You wouldn't have to reach some imagined perfect state of meditation for you to feel some benefit from your humble effort.

mmMekitty

I really like the idea of 'be here now'. I am hoping to make this my mantra to bring my attention back to being in the moment. Hopefully I can train my brain to think in this way!

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Everyone,

Paul... this is for you. I was reading a paper from 2014 and this was near the end...

If you ever feel confused about exactly what mindfulness is don’t worry – even Buddhist scholars, professional mindfulness teachers, and researchers still argue about it.

So I think the worry (wrong word) about what it is much less important that perhaps practicing.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

mmMekitty to Smallwolf: "Bravo!"

We could spend so much time defining what mindfulness is that we have no time to practise it. If we decide a upon a meaning which suits ourselves, & don't discuss it with anyone, then we can get on with practising whatever it is we think mindfulness is

& smile.😸, knowingly to each other.