FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mindfulness: What Is It? (Even if you dont know please post so we can help grow the forums accordingly)

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Everybody

This is only the basic dictionary definition...

"Mindfulness is a state of active, open attention on the present. When you're mindful, you observe your thoughts and feelings from a distance without judging them good or bad. Instead of letting your life pass you by, mindfulness means living in the moment without judgement"

• Please be as blunt you wish....If you dont have an idea about mindfulness it would be great if you could let us know
  • If mindfulness hasnt worked/or is too broad a concept for you it would great if you can let us know your thoughts too
  • If mindfulness has helped you, please help others to help themselves by posting how you have embraced this mindset

It goes without saying that the forums are a judgement free zone and I really hope that everyone can jump in and have their say

Your input is highly valued no matter how you respond to this topic. There are no experts here...New Posters are Most Welcome!!

My Kindest Thoughts

Paul

1,355 Replies 1,355

Hi Everyone!

Hey Gambit....always great to see you and thankyou for helping our readers and posters by sharing your experience...Nice1
Hey Quirky
Thanks for that. I didn't really understand your post the other day. I think some people are expecting a quick fix whether its Mindfullness or even therapy for that matter. You would be happy that we have had the coolest summer for years😀

My kind thoughts...Paul

Does anyone think mindfulness is a phase that was not around say ten years ago but now is everywhere,. Will it be around in another 10 years.

Hi Quirky!

Thats a great point and thankyou

If/when you have the time Quirky...google 'Is Mindfulness a buzzword' Its been around since approx 1990

With respect to Tims super help...The term Mindfulness wasnt used when I was in frequent therapy in the 1980s and 1990's

I left you a happy note at the end of my last post for you Quirky.... about summer

i didn't even hear of mindfulness when i was in therapy a few years ago

it was still kinda made fun of tbh by some outdated therapists who i imagine felt threatened by it

i think the word freaks ppl out and sounds new-age but mindfulness to me means observing, stepping back, noticing, which for many ppl is itself powerful enough to bring about change

sometimes i just watch/notice my thoughts for a minute and then i can pinpoint if i'm panicing, stressing, or obsessing..... being as objective as we can be about our experience to me sounds sensible and helpful... but as soon as we call it mindfulness, some ppl get upset.

I'm learning to love mindfulness and find it a great tool.

Paul,

I suppose I should have said I had not heard of mindfulness ten years ago. I apologise for stating my experience as fact.

I did not hear of mindfulness in the 1990s and 1980 but I think it was not as prevalent as it is today. I think most people would have heard of it but back in the 1980s and 1990s I was told to relax and breathe.

Thanks Paul for your comment about a cool summer.

Hi all,

Sleepy your comments about observing seem to me the essence of mindfulness/ meditation. To me, the process of detaching from our thoughts and experiences, stepping back, as you say, to observe, almost as if we are observing someone else, is freeing.

Usually I tend to be so caught up in my own experiences and thoughts, it all feels so important, and urgent. I generally place a lot of importance on if I'm doing the 'right' thing, or the best thing.....But by applying the principles ( and I use my breath a lot, just observing it) I am almost instantly transported to a place where, it doesn't matter. No urgency. Just my experience, being alive, here now. The hardest thing is when the here/now is a really difficult place to be. Like, pain in the body, or mental anguish. I think that is when we tend to want an escape.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Cheers,

J*

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Jstar

I agree about if being in the moment is painful then being in the moment is hard. I try then to deep breathe and focus on breath

Quirky I think thats usually when I go for a run!

If my knees are up to it. Lol!

And sometimes the deep breathing can bring up deep emotions, and that can be an opportunity too.

Cheers,

J*

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Jstar49 - might try to answer your question later.

@quirky - on your question about mindfulness. I think what you are referring to mindfulness becoming mainstream. things can take a while to get any traction so even though it might have been around before 2000 it was not very "big". I hope that makes sense.

Hello everyone,

I am wondering who has found doing a course online or offline helpful to find out more about mindfulness. I did a free course online a few years ago but felt I was the only one struggling to understand the course. I did like mindful eating.