FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mindfulness: What Is It? (Even if you dont know please post so we can help grow the forums accordingly)

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Everybody

This is only the basic dictionary definition...

"Mindfulness is a state of active, open attention on the present. When you're mindful, you observe your thoughts and feelings from a distance without judging them good or bad. Instead of letting your life pass you by, mindfulness means living in the moment without judgement"

• Please be as blunt you wish....If you dont have an idea about mindfulness it would be great if you could let us know
  • If mindfulness hasnt worked/or is too broad a concept for you it would great if you can let us know your thoughts too
  • If mindfulness has helped you, please help others to help themselves by posting how you have embraced this mindset

It goes without saying that the forums are a judgement free zone and I really hope that everyone can jump in and have their say

Your input is highly valued no matter how you respond to this topic. There are no experts here...New Posters are Most Welcome!!

My Kindest Thoughts

Paul

1,355 Replies 1,355

Paw Prints
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I just read a very interesting article about mindfulness & how some recent studies are showing that for certain people trying to do mindfulness can have a negative effect for them... or they simply don't get any benefit from it.

If anyone is interested in reading it it is on the BBC news website... under the work/life tab at the top of the page.

Paws

Thanks paws,I will check it out.
maybe it is more about what one dies than mindfulness it self or what mood one is. I will report back after reading it.

Hey Paws,

Interesting article! I suspect that combining meditation with other more expressive practices, like drumming, dancing, etc, might be good at alleviating some of those symptoms. And I'm also never going to feel guilty for not meditating regularly ever again! Sounds like you can definitely overdo it!

Interesting to note that it's considered that other activities, such as excercise, might have as much or more benefit than meditation. And also the point about diversifying , exploring the many varieties of mindfulness meditation, incl the focusing on external objects such as a flower, etc, to take the heavy focus off of self.

Cheers and thanks for contributing your research Paws!

J*

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Paws and Jstar

I think the article is about not overdoing mediation or mindfulness. They don’t say there is anything wrong with meditation or mindfulness but be careful not to do too much.

My Mum said everything in moderation .

Hi Everyone!

a belated answer to Tim's three words on Jan 26...and thanks too Quirky + Jstar + Grandy + Amanda2000 🙂

3 words ...selfless... peaceful...open

my kindest....Paul

Yeah definitely Quirky,

and for those who maybe find it doesn't suit them, or they're getting negative symptoms or experiences, that other things like excercise can be just as beneficial. It's a good balance, what with minfulness/meditation being very popular.

I've also notcied lots of ppl commenting about having a busy mind, and finding it difficult to focus.

I can remember times of high emotional distress/upheaval, and drumming or running was probably a better release than forcing myself to sit quietly and try to still my churning mind.

Absolutely agree- everything in moderation, and also, do what works for you.

On another point, I have been practising what I call mindful patchwork- patching together pieces of fabric in a mindful way, not according to a preconceived pattern or even , at first, to get any particular result! It was very soothing when i was going through a rough time. I guess the concept of mindfulness can be applied to so many areas of life.

Cheers,

J*

Hi Everyone

Hey Jstar49....Thankyou always for your super kind support here and across the forums!

Jstar49 mentioned ' I have been practising what I call mindful patchwork- patching together pieces of fabric in a mindful way, not according to a preconceived pattern'......This is an excellent example of mindfulness!

Hi Quirky....Always a bonus to read your posts and thankyou so much for the care you share with others! I wrote this thread topic ages ago as the term 'Mindfulness' still seems like a 'busy' mind to me. Just for myself I prefer the term 'Mindlessness' as we are at peace from excess thoughts. I dont understand when you posted 'everything in moderation' where mindfulness/meditation is concerned as its a state of mind..with respect to your mum of course

Thanks to Smallwolf (Tim) for explaining 'Mindfulness' through his own personal experience to support others

my kindest always

Paul

Hey Paws

Always great to have your support !

Paws mentioned 'I just read a very interesting article about mindfulness & how some recent studies are showing that for certain people trying to do mindfulness can have a negative effect for them... or they simply don't get any benefit from it'

If you could provide a link to the BBC program you mentioned it would be helpful to my own recovery/research. Thankyou for the clarity...'Mindfulness' wasnt around in the 1980's when I was having counselling

This is off topic (big time!) Paws....Where the crockery is sold at Woolworths I noticed a coffee mug with 'Talk to the Paw' with a paw print like your profile pic...anyhoo it was funny at the time 🙂

Paul

Gambit87
Community Member

I always practice mindfulness by walking around my city and just looking around.

I don't look at anything in particular, I just walk around taking in the sights and sounds. I look at the buildings and ponder their architecture. It never gets old for me and its a great way for me to clear my mind and feel centred.

Paul
I was referring to an article paws mentioned that was on BBC news site, I was commenting on the fact that people were overdoing meditation etc. I said it was not a problem with meditation or mindfulness but the fact people were over enthusiastic. I was just repeating what the article said,.