FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mindfulness: What Is It? (Even if you dont know please post so we can help grow the forums accordingly)

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Everybody

This is only the basic dictionary definition...

"Mindfulness is a state of active, open attention on the present. When you're mindful, you observe your thoughts and feelings from a distance without judging them good or bad. Instead of letting your life pass you by, mindfulness means living in the moment without judgement"

• Please be as blunt you wish....If you dont have an idea about mindfulness it would be great if you could let us know
  • If mindfulness hasnt worked/or is too broad a concept for you it would great if you can let us know your thoughts too
  • If mindfulness has helped you, please help others to help themselves by posting how you have embraced this mindset

It goes without saying that the forums are a judgement free zone and I really hope that everyone can jump in and have their say

Your input is highly valued no matter how you respond to this topic. There are no experts here...New Posters are Most Welcome!!

My Kindest Thoughts

Paul

1,355 Replies 1,355

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello all

Balance

what a peaceful post.

I like the days of the week but I think I would need to aim lower.

I hope it is ok I changed your list a little.

Monday practicing tolerance

Tuesday practicing forgiveness of self

Wednesday practicing forgiveness og others

Thursday practicing calmness

Friday practicing humility

Saturday practicing reflecting

Sunday practicing resting

Balance
Community Member

Good Morning,

Caring is such a lovely quality. In my journey I have learnt, that I need to care for myself first.

Caring for yourself first can bring a lot of Healing ... and with Healing comes strength to also

care for somebody else!!

Caring for yourself can mean to identify yourself with and strive for health.

How do you actually do that? Simply think about yourself today and make it a "Me" day mentally,

you could write down what makes you happy, what are your emotional needs, what type of person are you?

Then, when it comes to caring for yourself, you could choose something from this list and DO it on Friday's.

Only you know what your needs are - get to know yourself and then communicate with others, use your imagination.

These are the 7 words/qualities I focus on and I practise ONE QUALITY each day:

The Focus on Monday is practising Patience
The Focus on Tuesday is practising Courage
The Focus on Wednesday is practising Healing
The Focus on Thursday is practising Faithfulness

Focus on Friday is practising Caring

Focus on Saturday practising Stillness
Focus on Sunday practising Balance

Have a lovely Friday ... practising being kind to yourself and somebody else.
B

Balance
Community Member

Hi,

Today Saturday I practise Stillness.

"Let your heart be still, and your mind will follow".

By giving your fears and worries to Your Source Energy

stillness comes. Time spent outside in a park, or in the garden can bring Stillness.

I also speak less on Saturday's, and enjoy other people's conversations more.

These are the 7 words/qualities I focus on and I practise ONE QUALITY each day:

The Focus on Monday is practising Patience
The Focus on Tuesday is practising Courage
The Focus on Wednesday is practising Healing
The Focus on Thursday is practising Faithfulness
Focus on Friday is practising Caring

Focus on Saturday practising Stillness

Focus on Sunday practising Balance

Have a lovely Saturday with moments of Stillness.

B

Balance
Community Member

Hi Everybody,

"Balance can be just one thought away ...".

Balance is the last practice in my Mindfulness Series for the week.

At first I thought "How do you practise Balance" ... and I found it quite difficult.

Then one day I realised, that at the end of the week I had arrived at Balance,

BECAUSE I had practised/contemplated and benefited from the other 6 qualities.

Now Sunday's are always a bit like a celebration because you are already more balanced

than you were on Monday. Its your gift for having pushed through the hard times during your week.

I have found this weekly practise/routine to be like an anchor. It's always there for me to

grab and hang onto when life get's tough. It taught me to live each day,

and focus on the quality of the day instead of worrying.

This is a picture of my mental scales, and by nurturing all other six qualities one each day

... balance can be just one thought away.

B A L A N C E

0 0

0 0

__________ ____________

Patience Faithfulness

Courage Caring

Healing Stillness

======= ========

Have a nice Sunday.
Warm regards B

Balance
Community Member

Hi Everybody,

the picture of my scales made up of words unfortunately did not work out.

My apologies.

Regards B

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

hi Gambit,

The image of a child banging pots is really helpful -

In hospital we used some Acceptance Commitment Therapy excercises that were actually very similar

Different ways include imaginging your thoughts like leaves on a stream, intrusive guests to a barbeque, or like a 1st grader talking....

In such situations where things come up that are disturbing, we can see that they pass through or we get over it better without entangling.

The leaves on a stream excercise is a lot of fun, you imagine your thoughts passing by, and you pop each thought on a leave than watch it float on...

The child with the pots is also a really clear example of how we can overlook and let go of things at times, for our own sanity, just letting it go.... and then the issue becomes smaller...

Hi Everyone

Hey Balance...thankyou for your ongoing heartfelt contribution...I find 'acceptance' a super valuable tool when it comes to having some peace of mind. It takes time to practice yet calm and true 'acceptance' is wonderful even when we have low level anxiety or depression

Hey Sleepy21!...always great to have you share your experience no matter where you post 🙂

Sleepy21 mentioned the benefits of 'Acceptance Commitment Therapy'...this is an excellent point and well worth pursuing when trying achieve some peace of mind

Hey Quirky....thankyou for your valued support and for your list too!

Monday practicing tolerance
Tuesday practicing forgiveness of self
Wednesday practicing forgiveness og others
Thursday practicing calmness
Friday practicing humility
Saturday practicing reflecting
Sunday practicing resting

Thankyou amazing people for helping more people than you know...me included 🙂

Paul

Hi Sleepy21,

Couldn't agree more.

I was listening to a youtube video on OCD and when it was described like that it clicked for me. Dont know why, I dont have kids haha.

I like the leaves on a stream exercise aswell.

GavH
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I have started a new Uni course and I heard a concept recently that very much reminded me of mindfulness.

The concept is about being 'awake' and learning to be 'awake', which is by Dr Kerry Howells, who has also done a lot of research into gratitude and gratitude in learning.

My thought connection to mindfulness is because the idea is about having an intention to do something and you then put your attention into that intention, removing distractions and while you are doing it questioning where your mind is at that moment.

So very much about focussing to be in the moment of what you are doing - similar to mindfulness.

Hi Everyone and thankyou for helping others with your contribution!

Hey Gambit.....always great to have your help....If you want to provide a link or additional information re ' the leaves on a stream exercise' it would be great 🙂

Hey GavH....thankyou for your helpful post and your enthusiasm!

GavH mentioned 'The concept is about being 'awake' and learning to be 'awake', which is by Dr Kerry Howells'

my kind thoughts

Paul