FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mindfulness: What Is It? (Even if you dont know please post so we can help grow the forums accordingly)

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Everybody

This is only the basic dictionary definition...

"Mindfulness is a state of active, open attention on the present. When you're mindful, you observe your thoughts and feelings from a distance without judging them good or bad. Instead of letting your life pass you by, mindfulness means living in the moment without judgement"

• Please be as blunt you wish....If you dont have an idea about mindfulness it would be great if you could let us know
  • If mindfulness hasnt worked/or is too broad a concept for you it would great if you can let us know your thoughts too
  • If mindfulness has helped you, please help others to help themselves by posting how you have embraced this mindset

It goes without saying that the forums are a judgement free zone and I really hope that everyone can jump in and have their say

Your input is highly valued no matter how you respond to this topic. There are no experts here...New Posters are Most Welcome!!

My Kindest Thoughts

Paul

1,355 Replies 1,355

Balance
Community Member

This is how I practise PATIENCE today on Monday.

Every morning I ask myself - what or who do I need Patience for today?

I often think of myself first, I am kind and patient with myself first!

Choosing this thinking pattern gives me strength and equips me "mentally"

for this day. Tomorrow is still far away and thus I can live today to the fullest.

Then throughout the day, as situations arise, I always practise Patience

first instead of getting upset, impatient etc.

Neuroscience has proven that through Repetition new Thinking Patterns can be

developed. Using the tool of living each day (i.e. practising Patience in the things you

do today) it will become easier to take the step from Depression (living in the past) or Anxiety (living in the future) to LIVING TODAY ... MONDAY ... for example practising Patience.

Best wishes B

By the end of the day I feel good because I have tried my best.

Happy Monday practising Patience

naisy
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

For me, mindfulness is the acknowledgement of my presence here in this time and space. I feel it mostly when I'm meditating, but I also find it in those moments where the sun is one my skin and I feel calm, or my sisters are laughing and I notice just how much I love being with them in this moment, or when I stop to take a photo of a beautiful flower I found.

I might not always be perfect, but the more I practice being mindful the better I am. Learning to be in the now isn't easy but it is important, so I'll keep trying until it comes naturally.

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

naisy welcome to the forum and this thread.

Thanks for this opening paragragh. You explain mindfulness easily and it makes s4ense.

For me, mindfulness is the acknowledgement of my presence here in this time and space. I feel it mostly when I'm meditating, but I also find it in those moments where the sun is one my skin and I feel calm, or my sisters are laughing and I notice just how much I love being with them in this moment, or when I stop to take a photo of a beautiful flower I found.

Balance
Community Member

Good morning,

this week I will post a "thought for each day" according to my practise on Mindfulness, or simply practising Staying well. I personally am not hung up on the term Mindfulness, it's just a word. What you do each day, the thoughts you nurture it's what counts.

These are the 7 words/qualities I focus on and practise ONE QUALITY each day:

The Focus on Monday is practising Patience

The Focus on Tuesday is practising Courage

Focus on Wednesday practising Healing
Focus on Thursday practising Faithfulness
Focus on Friday practising Caring
Focus on Saturday practising Stillness
Focus on Sunday practising Balance

So, how do you practise Courage?

I just ask myself: "What do I need courage for today" for example

- keeping my appointment with my friend and not cancelling as I have often done before

- making my bed

- ringing a few people I haven't rung for a while and listen to their story

- ringing somebody who is lonely

- by NOT nurturing ANY thoughts about the future whatsoever

- full fill one outstanding task (push yourself a little)

- make the effort and go outside sitting in the sun

Make your own list for today. Tonight you will feel good about yourself,

pat yourself on your back and say "I did well well today, I know how to be courageous".

Once you have shown courage in little things - you will be able to show courage in Big things".

By visualising how it feels having done any of the above, that will give you the Courage to

actually do them.

Have a strong day practising Courage.

B

Hi Balance....Naisy..Quirky and everyone!

Thankyou Balance for your helpful posts....You are a breath of fresh air sharing your experience on mindfulness as there are many people that choose to read the forums and not post...so you are providing support to more people than you know 🙂

Hey Naisy.....Like Quirky mentioned...Welcome! and thankyou for your valued input on mindfulness

Hey Quirky...Your presence and wisdom is Gold...I cant thank you enough

amazing people....

Paul

Balance
Community Member

Good morning Everybody,

Today, Wednesday, HEALING IS! taking place every moment of this day.

Your mind is the biggest tool to guide your thoughts to a healthier place ...

moment by moment.

So, how do you practise HEALING ... simply connect the word HEALING

with your next breath in ... and think "I am healing" and you will start to relax.

If we become conscious even for a moment, that Health is our natural state of

being ... our mind and body will follow. Try to nurture thoughts of health not of sickness.

Discipline is a great healer and your friend, eat when its time to eat,

sleep when its time to sleep, read a uplifting line from a book, and seek the company of a friend

and share how you feel.

These are the 7 words/qualities I focus on and practise ONE QUALITY each day:

The Focus on Wednesday practising Healing

Focus on Thursday practising Faithfulness

Have a really good day acknowledging the health you do have

B

PS: Thank you so much Paul for your feedback - it means the world to me

GavH
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

What is mindfulness?

For me it is being present in the moment, being aware and engaged with what is happening around you, which can mean a lot of different things in different circumstances and I use it in different ways during the day. for example:

• If I am out riding my bike around the river then I look out for interesting things that are happening around me, which might be birds flying or perched somewhere, dolphins in the river, sunrise colours, reflection and people doing things (like bubble guys, who make big soap bubbles early in the morning).
  • Stopping when you see something interesting.
  • I am involved in Toastmasters so when someone is speaking really paying attention to what they are saying and how they are saying it, even when you may not be that interested in the topic.
  • Avoiding multi-tasking. I have found that multi-tasking at work, etc almost taught my brain to want to always want to being doing multiple things so that when you wanted to be meditating for example, it was really hard to not be wanting to be thinking about a bunch of other things, and the same when you were talking to people.

My thoughts.

Gav

Balance
Community Member

Good morning Community,

Thursday is an opportunity to "nurture who nurtures you".

Believing in source energy, a power greater than ourselves,

provides the opportunity to simply pass on today's challenges

and to sit back trusting that the Universe WILL sort everything

according to Divine Order.

Source energy can be found in many things, i.e.

nature, music, serendipity etc and can be expressed through Gratitude.

These are the 7 words/qualities I focus on and I practise ONE QUALITY each day:

The Focus on Wednesday practising Healing

The Focus on Thursday is practising Faithfulness

Have a lovely day ...

B

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

What a sweet calming post to wake up to Balance, thankyou!
I woke up focusing on Gratitude and smiled.

I meditated upon Gratitude whilst I swept my balcony this morning.

I remembered a Buddhist Monk's teachings to us 35y ago. She said you can meditate ANYWHERE doing ANYTHING. Then followed up with "I meditate washing the dishes" and "I meditate when I'm gardening".

So today, instead of jumping to grumbling etc I will endeavor to replace those thoughts with Gratitude.

I have so much to be grateful for and smile when I think of all the beautiful souls on here.

Thankyou for being here. I'm grateful for you all.

Love and bliss
EM

Hi Everyone and thankyou for helping others (people that read the forums) with your valued input

Hey Balance....thankyou for your complimentary post as well as the heartfelt support you provide..If we didnt have new members sharing their experience/asking questions the forums would cease to exist..Great post!

Hey Gav....your support is greatly appreciated and thankyou for the excellent input too! I hear you loud and clear about multi-tasking.....Its the same as using our cell phone when we go to bed....way too much stimuli

Hey ecomama....always a bonus to have you post and thankyou! You are spot on when you mentioned Balance posting such calming posts....Balance is a breath of fresh air here for sure

thankyou amazing people...Happy Friday too!

Paul