FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Life Insurance Questionnaire Bemusement *Trigger warning - past suicide attempt*

Nodrog
Community Member

I just wanted to share my recent experience with applying for life insurance.

I'm fairly stoic and keep my cards close to my chest. Over the years I have learnt to manage my mental health, identify triggers, and know when to reach out for professional support like to going to my GP or trusted psychologist. I don't openly share my mental health history because the reaction I usually get is bewilderment and sympathy. Part of it is about the stigma that so many people associate with suicide attempts. I'm in a good place mentally, I have a great support network and a fantastic GP.

I've recently applied to update my life insurance and have been left floundering through endless questions about my mental health history. the process is incredibly traumatic and confronting. First I had to sit with someone completely unknown to me and disclose my medical history, which includes 2 hospitalisations after suicide attempts. Not a pleasant experience. Thankfully she was lovely and sent me the questions to fill out in my own time in privacy.

It didn't stop there. A second form arrived which required even more details about triggers and causes of my suicide attempts. But the form I filled out today was mind boggling. This is now the third time I have provided some of this information. But the questions have left me complete bemused; What part of your body was affected? The cause? Have you ever been off work, state when, duration and reason/restriction? The best is I had 4 lines to give details of all the consultations, treatments, hospitalisations, findings, advice and the practitioner's details for a 25+ year medical history.

The cynic in me says that all these forms are just a way for the insurance company to wear you down and withdraw your application. But I will soldier on and get this done come hell or high water.

5 Replies 5

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Nodrog, and a warm welcome and yes I am going through exactly the same problem as yourself in applying for life insurance, the reports they need from our doctor and a history that has long passed.

Obtaining any life insurance has always been a concern for those with a previous and unfortunately, I'm not allowed to mention the companies I have life insurance with, but this present one is going through the hoops and probably won't insure me, even though the temptation to be able to obtain life/ins seemed easy enough.

I wish I could tell you the names of these insurance companies, but yes there are companies that can cover you, the premium might be slightly higher with an extra loading, but that may be because of my age. (66)

Type this in your search browser 'life insurance pre existing conditions australia' and see how you go, otherwise I'll try and send you to the companies, without mentioning their names.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

Bornagain
Community Member

Hi Geoff and Nodrog, wanted follow up on this post as I'm also interested in the outcome of your life insurance application and chances of getting life insurance with a previous condition.

Would love to hear from you both.

Best wishes

Bornagain

Hello Bornagain, thanks for reviving this thread because it's really is an important one that needs to be considered for those desperately trying to obtain insurance as somehow we are still being discriminated against.

I've applied for two life insurance policies, one proclaiming they would insure anyone, wrong, they wanted a report from my doctor who I have only been seeing for just a year and a half, and he had to somehow read through my history and fill out a report so the insurance company could gather whether or not to insure me, their answer was no, and meant to contact me giving me the reason why, still haven't heard.

The other company would insure me but it had a 100% loading making it too expensive, so I'm left with the policies I had previously taken out.

I only wish I was able to give you the names, but unfortunately, this is impossible on the forums.

What I do know and can tell you is that the life insurance policies I do have did ask me about my days suffering from depression, how long ago it was and if more than 2 years they could take out a policy.

All of this depends on the circumstances, but please let me know and ask any questions you like.

Geoff.

Bornagain
Community Member

Thank you Geoff for your quick reply, your contribution to these forums are invaluable.

That is really disappointing that the insurance company purporting to be able to insure anyone, then saying no in the end. 😞

With regards to your existing policies can I ask how long ago you took out the policies you're still with, and how did you determine that you no longer suffered from depression from a timepoint perspective (ie was there a report that needed to be written?)

Wondering if there is a way to point me in the direction of the companies without mentioning names.

Hello Bornagain, a good question.

One of these particular insurance companies say on the net that ' they can cover you' but with a 100% loading as I'm in the elderly department, while the other one, after going through all the questions and getting a positive review from the salesman, said no after they insisted on my GP's report.

One existing policy was taken out when a bank opened up in the town a long time ago and offered insurance to anybody if they opened an account, no questions asked', so I jumped on the offer, another which has a large health insurance as well as offering pet and travel insurance which accepted me, after all, I told them.

There is one that does life insurance for risky people which I also have but with my health, it has a 200% loading but will payout no matter what.

I also have accidental death insurance which companies who offer it, will give anyone a policy, the trouble is will they pay out, is always the big question, like all insurance companies, they love taking your money, but when you claim that's where the problem begins.

Although I haven't mentioned any companies any keywords I've mentioned might help you, but I'm not breaking any rules.

Let me know Bornagain.

Geoff.