FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I am having trouble with my sleeping pattern and I am also having trouble with managing my weight.

goldilocks
Community Member
I have been having trouble with my sleeping pattern for nearly a year now. I believe the underlying cause of this is due to the fact that I gave up studying at adult school early last year due to the state of my mental health, and simply had nothing else to do with my time except sleep all day long. I was also hospitalised three times last year due to the aforementioned reason and I was discharged from hospital in a physiologically worse state than what I entered in. I was drugged up on a cocktail of medications that have done nothing but make lethargic and make me put on a disgusting amount of weight, in spite of the fact that I used to be very active and alert and used to maintain a fast metabolism. I have spoken with my treating psychiatrist about my concerns and she genuinely doesn't care about what I have to say. Her response to my concerns was to put me on more medication, a weight loss medication which has done nothing for me but make me lose 3kg, which I have put back on repeatedly. Unlike some people, I care about the way I look and I will be undertaking a free fitness consultation early next year, followed by the eight week body transformation. I want to lose weight. I want to be able to not sleep all day long. I want to be able to return to adult school and get my SACE. I want to be able to go to University. I want to be able to travel. I want to be able to work. I want to be able to assist my parents with my housework. There is so much I want to do with myself, but I am unable to because I am so tired all day long (keep in mind I do get a good night's rest.)
1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion
Hi, welcome

How's the 3 bears going?

I have a number of suggestions.

You are not bound by your psychiatrist, consider a new one. Yes, you'll have to brief the new one but treat that as therapy anyway. Mention your concerns of excess weight. Bare in mind that most meds are tranquilizers and have a dampening effect on our ability to have get up and go. I tried 12 meds before I found THE one.

You have a long list of "wants". Sad to say but you might need to trim that list due to your illness. That's the way It is I'm afraid. Prioritize them, if overseas travel never happens it isn't the end of the world as an example. Baby steps are the best.

I hope that helps.

TonyWK