FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How to recover after a suicide attempt?

Sambo
Community Member

Hi. A few weeks ago i tried to commit suicide. I ended up in hospital for 2 days. This was in Australia and i am now back in England where i am living temporarily at the moment. I have been to 2 CBT sessions since being back and havent really found it that helpful. I am not much of a talker anyway so it is hard for me to get anything across to anyone. I really just want to know if anybody else has ever felt the same after attempting anything. I know i definately havent as i constantly keep thinking about harming myself or different outcomes that could have come of my attempt. Anything would be helpful.  

beyondblue’s clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

1 Reply 1

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi Sambo

Thank you for coming to Beyond Blue and providing your post - but it's definitely a strong post and I hope like crazy that we'll be able to provide you with some assistance for yourself.

Can I please ask that apart from the CBT sessions you've been too, are you seeing any other counsellor or GP - someone in a professional sense - just a one-on-one situation??

What other supports do you have where you are at the moment - ie:  other friends/family?  Anyone you can talk to - not necessarily about anything drastic, but just some one to talk to - even though I'm hearing that you're not a big talker, at this stage it would be great if you had someone you could at least lean on.

So you're back in England and yet you're still having bad thoughts - harmful thoughts - which rules out a question I was going to say, that was it just from your time in Australia that caused it?

Have you looked up in England support lines for immediate assistance?  I guess similar to Lifeline here in Oz?

When I came out of my last attempt, it really knocked me around badly - for how and what I tried, but to KNOW that I had a young family growing up and they would have lost their dad.  It hurts me now to think of that at times.

Sambo, you've kept your post short, but I would hazard a guess that if you were to do something bad, you'd be leaving behind a hell of a lot of grief behind you and people's lives would be torn in two.  You might not even think that there is anyone, but I can guarantee you, that you'd be surprised - to take your life might end your suffering, but it will only commence the suffering of so many others and might even make them feel someday, how you're feeling now.

Please please do write back to us as soon as you can.

Neil