FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

how music has changed my life

daveaustralia1
Community Member

I am 36 years of age, a self confessed loner and diagnosed for 22 years with depression and the anxieties that come with the illness.

Previously I had anger management issues, always tense, always angry (and sometimes it catches up to me still) and aggressive. I suffer some of these still but since the power of music came into my life, i see things differently. I listen to commercial radio FM for my relaxation, AM when I want to have an argument with myself or am moody and disagree with the world and use Classical with the joys of cleaning and household chores. Together they are my master of happiness. And its free!

I have tried psychologists who have helped me, meds that make me gain weight or nausea, or clubs to try and wrestle gains in friendships all to no avail but music is always there to keep me sane. Everyone has different tastes, and it doesn't generally discriminate (sometimes the words are a bit nasty). The only downside to music is; as much as I think I am an Australian Idol, I am not. My karaoke career won't be taking off anytime soon.

What I am putting out there is; yes I am a loner, yes I suck at friendships, yes I hate my life in parts, yes I wish I did things differently, yes I blame others for the way I turned out but sometimes in life, life itself offers you a path that can balance things and for me, its music.

2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi

Yes you are right. Music does thing internal to us. Music us as old as eating.

I can get extremely emotional with even background music ...google- maharaji prem rawat sunset. Music can inspire you eg the rocky theme song.

Tony WK

luckyman
Community Member

I make up playlists on my ipod.

I've got one if I am feeling pumped and happy, and I have others if I want to get crappy feelings out and use it as a release through the music to do so.

I have some key songs which I know will trigger certain emotions in me from the lyrics and so depending on what I need to express, I will select the playlist that best suits and let the music do it's thing.

I am the same as you in the sense that I find that I can connect through music and lyrics and find it very soothing.