FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How do I find Motivation?

brokenbluecat
Community Member

Hi,

I have had depression for over 20 years. In the last 12 months I have been admitted to hospital on 3 occasions for TMS. I was discharged from hospital about 3 weeks ago after TMS and a med change.

I was getting ready to return to work and was advised the company I work for had to restructure. This means I with 130 others will be made redundant. Now I am lost, scared and confused.

I am finding it really difficult to get out of bed and motivate myself to do anything. I am wondering if I need to go back into hospital, what do I tell prospective employers, how do I find motivation and when will I be better again?

I have spoken to my psychologist and cannot see my psychiatrist for another 2 weeks.

Any tips on how I can find motivation to will myself to get better?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi brokenbluecat

I'm really sorry that you have been so unwell. It seems like the changes at work couldn't have come at a worse time. I know it's a lot to manage but it's great that you've reached out here for support.

I wouldn't worry about what to tell future employers. Lots of people get retrenched. It's really important to remember that it is not your fault and certainly not a reflection on you. I would just tell the truth.

Getting motivated whilst in your situation is tough. I would suggest setting small goals each day and seeing how you go. Then you can try to build on progress.

Maybe you could start by getting up early and just having a shower and getting dressed. If you're up to it a walk outside is always helpful. I find this a great way to clear my head and set myself up for a great day.

Talking to a friend or family member is always helpful too. Do you have someone to talk to? You can always call the bb support line on 1300 22 4636. A little bit of support and encouragement might help to get you moving.

I don't know when you will be "better again" but I believe it will happen. You are doing all the right things and you are on the right path, just keep ploughing on.

One step at a time, always moving toward the light.

Kind thoughts to you

BreeFree90
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Brokenbluecat,

What you're going through is tough, but don't give up!

Last year I had a massive panic attack/mental breakdown that caused me to take two weeks off work and I had to rebuild myself. A few months down the track my fiance & I bought a house (yay) only for me to find out on the same day that the small company I worked for had been bought out. I lost my job. Two weeks later I had a new job and things were looking up again. But then it all came crashing down when I recently quit as the stress and workload cause me to have a relapse. I'm currently searching for a new job with a new mortgage hanging over our heads. It's stressful and as someone who suffers from depression and anxiety, I could quite easily give in and let myself sink into the black hole that wants to swallow me up. But, right now you and I have an opportunity to focus on ourselves.

Self-care is so important and in order for us to pick ourselves up and keep going, we need to focus on that. We need to give ourselves time to breathe and enjoy what we like doing. We need to make use of the time we have.

Read a book, listen to music, watch a movie, take a walk, start a journal.

Life has it's ups and downs and you can't always predict when they'll happen and why. But it's important to try and find the positives. Yes I quit my job, yes my finances are dwindling, and yes it's added pressure and yet I choose to look at this as the universe telling to refocus myself. What I've wanted to do for years now is study to become a counsellor and that's what I finally plan on doing...once I get myself a part-time job, hahah.

I'm not a religious person, but I've come to believe/accept that sometimes things happen for a reason and it's up to us to look for the positives and ignore the negatives.

Look for some mindfulness apps or start a journal. Be kind to yourself and enjoy this time to reconnect to yourself and do the things that make you happy.

Stay positive!

Bree

Hi Bree,

Thanks for the post.

I am struggling to find the positive in all this at the moment as it is a job I love and enjoy and I didn't see the redundancy coming.

I wonder how much I tell future employers about my depression? I had it under control for 20 years and then this past 12 months I have had three meltdowns. Do I tell them I have this mental illness and may require time off work? I just feel like not telling them makes me a liar and it is not the way I want to start anything, but telling them means I may not get the job? I am so confused.

Thanks

Hi Summer Rose,

Thankyou for the reply. I managed to set one goal today and accomplished it. Tomorrow I am going to try two goals.

With the job thing I was wondering more about how much to tell a future employer about my condition. I am worried about them not hiring me or starting off by lying. It really is a confusing time.

Thanks

Hi brokenbluecat

Congratulations on setting and meeting your goal today. Slowly and steadily you can now build on progress.

Please remember that set backs might be part of the process but that's ok--you just keep trying. Slow and steady will get you where you need to go.

Disclosure at a job interview is a really personal issue. I can't tell you what to do but I will say this ....

We all go into job interviews to sell ourselves and win the role. We select the truths we will share and put the facts in the best possible light. Unless your depression is going to help you win the role, I'm not sure why you would voluntarily mention it at an interview.

I'm also not sure it's relevant, although that could depend on the role e.g. police officer or pilot. I wondervif you would feel compelled to disclose you had chronic eczema, diabetes, food allergies or an ulcer?

People go to work with all kinds of conditions that require management, medical appointments and personal leave. It's okay.

Now you may want to disclose your condition once you have the role, if you need support or are seeking reasonable adjustments, but then again you may not. As long as you can fulfil the key requirements of the role, your health is really your business.

Just my thoughts. Hope it helps.

Kind thoughtsto you

rh456
Community Member

Hi Brokenbluecat

I am new on here, so bear with me. First of all, well done on setting goals!

I am in a similar situation with regards to the job situation. I left a good job at a local hospital back at the end of 2011 to go to another job where I thought i would get more hours/chance of advancement. Unfortunately this turned out not to be the case and after the 3 month probationary period I was told "sorry its not working out" and "goodbye"...on a friday afternoon with no warning whatsoever. Ever since then I have been getting by on contract/casual work which is good in one way, but I feel I need something more permanent - both for financial reasons but also my confidence.

My confidence has taken rather a hit lately and is depreciating each day, not just for working but also for just "getting by". I, like you, will now start to set more goals for each day and hopefully things will get better. Do you get people who tell you that? I didn't want to, but I have started the process of going back on Centrelink benefits which I feel is another blow (its a long and frustrating process as i have done it before). I have not been clinically diagnosed with depression, but I think that I have been suffering from it over the last few years particularly in 2015 when I was going through breast cancer treatment.

I must go to bed now as its quite late. I hope things do get better for you in time.

Cheers from Adelaide

RH456