FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Helpful Books and Products for Anxiety and Depression

Narniakid
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi everyone!

I couldn't find a thread with a similar topic, so I thought I'd start one.

As a depression and anxiety sufferer myself, over the years, I have tried lots of different products, activities and creative outlets to express my inner thoughts, and to distract myself. My friends and family have supported this idea with endless self help books and diaries, but only a number of them I have found actually helpful.

Here, I am providing the links to some things that I have found particularly helpful dealing with the symptoms of depression and anxiety:

- 'Stay Strong 365 Days A Year' by Demi Lovato

Full of inspiring quotes from a broad range of sources, accompanied by helpful information written by Demi herself.

And this is the matching journal

- 'The Daily Rant' Activity Journal

This one I particularly recommend for youths dealing with the stress of friends at school. The pages are divided into checkboxes and short sections which is a nice simple way of recording information for therapists, psychologists etc. 

- 'The Mindfulness Colouring Book: Anti-Stress Art Therapy for Busy People' 

I've seen this one floating around Instagram and I love it! I even colour the pages in while on the train or watching TV.

These are a couple of things I really like and I find helpful. They might not be for everyone, but if you're looking for a new diary or some reading material, you might enjoy them. Plus, I think they make great gift ideas.

5 Replies 5

yarnartisan
Community Member

Hi Narniakid,I've also just discovered the joys of colouring in, as you said lots of free adult colouring pages on internet, especially good are the one marked zen/mindfulness/anti-stress.

Plus there was also an article in the newspaper about how MLC school has been using the mehtod to help students cope with exams.SOme of them do before bed and find it helps them sleep.

If you look up the brain science of it , in particular a neuroscientist,  Stan Rodski.

My other way of colouring in, is my crocheting, hence my tag name.

Happy Colouring,

Yarnartisan.

Hi yarnartisan!

Thank you for your reply. What you said about the newspaper article is very interesting, I'll have a look into that scientist.

Also good idea with the crocheting! Is it easy? I've done a little sewing before but I'd really like to try making small crocheted projects.

Kind Regards,

Narniakid

Hi Narniakid,

My  mum taught me to knit when I was a kid ,then I taught myself to crochet from a book. ( no internet way back then...).MUch faster to work things up that knitting.I didn't do any for many years then my daughters wanted to learn and I picked it back up again and now it's part of my daily routine, like reading.It came back into my life and a bad time and then I joined this group (see below)that has done so much for my mental health plus what we do helps the mental health of others.

A total passion to the point that I'm involved in a local group of Yarn bombers and we regularly and anonymously do community art installations for all sorts of reasons, one of which is to beautify ugly things in our town and to make people smile. We can be found on Facebook under 'The Purly Queens" if you want to look at what we do. there's groups all over the country and the world.

As far as learning crochet, I found it easy , like any craft it's practice and finding a way of learning that suits you , be it from a book, a craft group or one of many free sites out there like my favourite Ravelry or I think you mentioned you already use Pinterest.

For me it's a rythmic, mediative, mindfulness and relaxing exercise. YOu can take it anywhere, it's great when you want to kill time waiting for appts, helps with that sort of anxiety. Also in work breaks when you don't feel like talking and need some chill time and a quiet space it's great for that.

Have fun and be kind to yourself on learning this new skill and craft that will become a good non-judgemental and appreciative companion.

Take care of you, from a happy hooker 🙂

Yarnartisan.

Hi yarnartisan!

Oh my gosh I just had a little squeal of excitement when I read that you do yarn bombing - I think it's just brilliant!

My Nana, god bless her soul, passed away a number of years ago, but I get my artistic side from her. I only wish I'd asked her to teach me how to crochet, because it sounds pretty fun. I think I'll have a look into it, and watch some Youtube tutorials. 

It is lovely that you find pleasure in something so cute and fun! Not to mention convenient - I can already picture myself sitting by the television crocheting haha

Keep it up and take care!

Crystal

Hi Narniakid,

So glad I've inspired you and hope that you get as much creativeness,relaxation, meditation, mindfulness and fulfillment as I have.Creating a thing of beauty and colour purely for your own pleasure does so much to help maintain your wellness.

Take care of you,

Yarnartisan

PS we have a big project planned for July , will let you know when it goes on our Facebook page so you can check it out. Guaranteed to make you smile.