FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Healthy diet and exercise

Mariasharapovafan1
Community Member
Hi, I've following a sensible balanced diet and I started to reduce my junk food intake. Also I'm taking up a lot of physical activity by walking rather than catching the bus. This is very helpful. I'm now monitoring my diet and how much exercise I take up. Exercise I've heard alleviates depression. I'm slowly jumping out of my comfort zone. I would say well done.
5 Replies 5

Guest_1055
Community Member

Hello

Welcome and I will say well done to you also. I will even give you three cheers.

Hoorah....Hoorah.....Hoorah

I am also discovering about how exercise is a real benefit to our mental, emotional and physical health.Good on you for walking rather than taking the bus. I have been walking more since late January this year.

And about your meals, what sort of lifestyle have you adopted there? I am learning all I can about what foods can help, and even that it is possible to heal our bodies. And I totally agree with getting rid of the junk food. What have you noticed in regards to your mental health since choosing this healthier way?

Anyway, thank you for inspiring me to keep going and keep up the good work.

Love

Shelley xx

Zeal
Community Member

Hi Maria fan,

Welcome to the forum!

It's great that you've found these positive lifestyle changes so helpful. I too enjoy walking. In fact, it's my only form of physical activity! I once read (I've forgotten where) that 20 minutes of brisk walking daily is just as effective for alleviating the burden of mild to moderate depression as antidepressants! However, these findings should still be taken with a grain of salt!

Stepping out of your comfort zone gradually is great. This is something I am still working on, and will continue to! Learning is a lifelong process, which is what can keep things interesting!

If you feel your mental health needs more help, make an appointment with your GP to discuss what you're experiencing.

Best wishes,

SM

thehiss
Community Member

HI

Good on you for sticking at it! I actually just started my new diet today as well as walking. I can't get over the difference a little bit of walking can do, I've been really depressed and yuck for the last couple of months and now this is the brightest I've been in ages.

Keep it up

firsttimemum
Community Member

Hi,

ive also started eating well and exercising to try and eliviate anxiety. Its only been a few weeks and I cannot believe the difference. My mind is so much clearer.

I try to make a new change to my diet every few days.

i have eliminated caffeine and take away meals

i take a multivitamin, vitamin d supplement and magnesium supplement

i have a handful of cashews, some plain greek yoghurt, 5 serves of veg, 2 serves of fruit and some protein (normally chicken) every day

and im exercising for half an hour in the evening. Normally just strength exercises.

i gained 4 kilos after birth of my son, so if i can lose that thatd be a bonus.. But im already so happy that my anxiety is getting better 😊

olly1
Community Member

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share. 2 years ago I was hopitalized for depression. I gained 30kgs from eating to make me happy.

Forward to today, I am in depression remission. I got well again by running and eating properly. (No restrictive eating just portion size) and I've lost ALL the weight and them some.

I never thought I could do it but I pushed. I made it.

One tip that changed my life. Eat breakfast. If I don't I'm sad and negative. My brain needs foods to function. So I feed it and it works better. Go carbs!