FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Healthy body image tips

Guest_322
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I thought this thread might be helpful for developing healthy body image.

In saying that, these are just general tips and can't replace medical and allied health advice but I thought such a thread would be helpful.

You may or may not find these tips helpful- either is okay- but I thought that I would share things that I have learnt over the years.

Please feel free to share your own tips 😊

- not labelling food as "good" or "bad." Food is food.

- get a full body check to make sure there aren't physical health problems that are causing food/appetite issues.

- this is a really difficult one (because it's hard work and emotionally painful) but finding the root cause(s) of your binge eating/purging/deprivation/etc because food is often a "symptom" of a deeper wound. Sometimes this requires help from a psychologist, counsellor or other health professional.

- avoid discussions about kj/calories with friends and loved ones. Same goes for conversations where you put yourselves down for your weight and physical appearance.

- when complimenting friends and loved ones, try to make it about their personal attributes as opposed to their appearance.

- remember that photos online and in magazines are usually airbrushed.

- be wary of competitive dieting and exercising with friends. While it's great if you and a friend want to motivate each other to exercise and eat well in a supportive and healthy way, it's another thing when it turns into a competition.

- try to avoid fad diets.

- minimise constantly checking e.g. obsessive use of scales, pinching your stomach, etc. Try to set limits as to how often you check yourself/body e.g. weighing yourself once a week (for general health reasons).

- if you find that there are certain things that "trigger" unhealthy behaviours then minimise contact with those things/get rid of them. For example, I don't own a set of scales anymore because every time that I've had easy access to one, I end up weighing myself multiple times every single day, which in turn, triggers another set of unhealthy behaviours and on it goes...

- surround yourself with people who don't make you feel bad about your body and appearance. By the same token, minimise contact with people who criticise you for your appearance, engage in competitive dieting, etc.

- only lose/gain weight for your own sake and not because someone else is pressuring you to do it. It's your body.

- And remember, your weight doesn't define you.

Dottie x

74 Replies 74

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Dottie123

Another great post. You have posted some great advice.

I just have 2 words that I have lived by with having a solid build and the tendency to easily put on weight....which I avoided and seem to have the willpower to make it work. (I have no idea where the willpower comes from)

• Portion Control (apologies if this isnt what I should be posting Dottie)

You have listed so many great points I hope you dont mind me quoting one of them...

"remember that photos online and in magazines are usually airbrushed."

A great and informative post

my kind thoughts

Paulx

SubduedBlues
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

That's all good advice Dottie, I should endeavor to follow some of it.

Raises a lot of questions in my mind, but to not jump your thread, perhaps I'll start a new one.

Hi there,

Paul, thank you for the encouraging words and advice about portion sizes. That's an excellent tip in terms of eating in moderation. I think it's great that you seem to manage your health well. Good on you!

SB, I appreciate your dropping in and commenting. Thanks for the support!

I must admit that I'm now actually very curious about your questions haha.

Dottie x

Zeal
Community Member

Hey Dottie,

I really like your healthy body image list of tips. The third point about finding the root cause of unhealthy eating behaviours is a crucial one. This is what helped me overcome disordered eating.

A few other things I have personally found helpful are:

• Not having or using Instagram
  • Only owning clothes that make me feel comfortable with my body/figure. For example, I am fine with showing my legs in shorts or wearing fitted jeans, but I don't feel as comfortable in a tummy-hugging top.
  • Not watching TV shows like Supersize vs Superskinny or current affair programs about food choices, dieting or the obesity crisis
I've already mentioned these to you Dottie, but I thought I'd include them here too 🙂

Thanks for the great thread!

Best wishes,

Zeal

Guest_322
Community Member

Hi Zeal (shoutout to everyone else),

Thanks and I appreciate all the helpful tips you shared 😊

I completely agree with you about the 3rd one- finding the underlying reasons- being super important.

Oh yes, wearing clothes that don't make you feel self conscious is helpful. True, certain TV shows can sometimes be very, very triggering.

Thanks again!

Dottie x

Guest_3072
Community Member

Thanks for the tips Dottie!

I especially like the one about giving compliments on personal attributes rather than appearance and how you said that weight doesn't define you.

Gabby x

Thanks Gabby!

I'm glad you got something out of it. Happy to hear that.

Dottie x

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi,

What a great thread!

Here are some other tips (and stolen quotes!) to add to the pile:

• Try to remember that you are already enough. Nothing changes that.
  • Great tips so far about avoiding Instagram and magazines; but we can only avoid things for so long. Remember that companies thrive on you feeling like you're not good enough. The beauty industry and the weight-loss industry make millions just because society feels like you're not okay in your skin. (spoiler alert: you are).
  • The scale will only tell you a number. It will not tell you how beautiful you are, or how much you are loved.
  • Surround yourself with not only people but everything that boosts your appearance. I've switched from reading women's magazines to National Geographic and I haven't regretted it. There are also lots of blogs and books on self-esteem and acceptance.
  • You are not fat. You have fat. You also have fingernails. You are not fingernails.
  • Do exercise! Yoga! How great are legs that take us where we want to go. How great are lungs that help us breathe. How great are arms that help us reach for things and cook things. How great are bellies for allowing us to digest food and use it as fuel! It's not a body's job to be perfect, it's to keep you alive.
  • People don't really care. That sounds negative but it's something I wish that I learned when I was younger. Isn't there enough things that are more important then our size? JK Rowling (author of Harry Potter) said 'is fat the worst thing that we can be?'
  • Get rid of 'feeling fat' from your dictionary. We can feel anxious, doubt or fear, but not fat. Feeling fat makes us believe something should change. It's a sensation of monitoring how much space you occupy, and then judging it. Your body isn't going anywhere. Your body deserves to take up space. (from a comic by C.Mucha)
  • Life is way too short to spend another day at war with yourself.

Hi romantic_thi3f,

Thank you so much for sharing your awesome tips 😊 I think that a lot of people will find them helpful (including me).

They're all great tips but I particularly liked your reminder that we are already "enough."

I also particularly liked your tip about appreciating all the things that our body does for us and how its job is to keep us alive. Very true and how easy it is that many of us- most definitely including me- take our bodies for granted.

Thanks again!

Dottie x