FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

H.A.L.T

Bethie
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi

I just thought I'd share this because it is simple but a good guide to let me know why I at times feel worse than others.

H...hungry

A....angry

L...lonely

T...tired

If 2 of these things is happening I tend to be a bit out of sorts. If 3 is happening it is basically a big red stop sign. If all 4 well I know I'm in trouble and need to interact all my support fast.

Hope this helps others as well

4 Replies 4

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Bethie

I'm sure that can assist many. Mnemonics is great. I used it when a student 45 years ago lol.

My wife and I found that if we went meal to meal i.e. 4-5 hours, we'd get grumpy, snappy. So a snack in the middle works much better.

Anger is a waste of energy but I'm like most, I have trouble containing it. My wife acknowledges it though and says "you are doing ok," which is great.

Loneliness- I don't have an answer to. It comes and goes doesn't it. Sometimes we like to be alone other times not.

Tired- as an ex shift worker on the worst shift (12- 12, 12 hours shifts...imagine how one felt at noon and going home) I was always tired. So, action, got myself a daytime job and had a sleep study. Covered in the following thread (Google)

Topic: a good nights deep sleep- beyondblue

Regards. Good post

Tony WK

Artemisia
Community Member
This is helpful. I don't always connect physical issues with my mental health until it all goes pear shaped so keeping an eye on those basics in important.

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Bethie

I like your H.A.L.T. mechanism. It makes good sense. To acknowledge a red flag with 3 is a smart move

It took me a while to understand that our digestive system is the most 'sympathetic" to stress or anxiety. Thats where we know we are really in a dark place.....(except for the hunger)

Great thread topic Bethie

Paul

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Bethie, I just wonder whether anger creates loneliness or whether being lonely makes you angry, so any one of these can certainly begin the chain reaction happening where all 4 become involved with your mental health.

If it starts then you must begin to contact your support avenues, you can't let it run amok because that's what we have learned over a long period that it will pull us down. Geoff.