FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Food & depression

Antman
Community Member

Hello all

I'm a multi year sufferer & first time reader & poster .Have been taking medication for about 10 years.

Have read quite a few posts .

Like many know its a up & down ride everyday .        

I'm interested in hearing some commentary on abdominal pain & upset stomachs .

Are there any specific foods that you believe , know of , upset your stomach , set off negative thoughts ?

Also in an opposite way , anything that you think helps ?

Many Thanks

8 Replies 8

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
dear Antman, there could be many foods which can affect someone, I kept on going to my doctor and said help me please all I do is vomit after food, so he said I had GORD, Gastro Oesophageal Reflux Disease, in which he prescribed some medication to stop this, there are a few different ones, but I ended up taking the strongest one, plus I also take that liquid which is advertised on tv by the ex female olympian, and now I have no problem. Google GORD and the list of medication should appear. Let us know how you get on. Geoff.

Michele
Community Member

I've also been on medication for over 10 years, so I have a bit of experience!

I know it sounds like a cliche but if I eat a lot of 'rubbish' I feel like rubbish! An occasional indulgence/treat is ok, but if it goes on for too long (eg: a day or more of 'rubbish', including alcohol, fatty foods, lots of salt etc), I really feel it with my moods and energy. Also too much coffee and/or black tea can do the same (too much for me is over 5 cups a day). Eating erratically also doesn't help.

Whereas, eating good, tasty food regularly seems to make a real difference. Mind you, if I do have a few 'rubbish days' it does take a day or two to get it out of my system. Green tea or cammomile helps though.

Vegetarian Marshmallow
Community Member
I can't say I've ever noticed the same thing.  I would treat the stomach upset and depression as separate beasts.

I have seen a lot of stuff out there about depression being linked to diet (I don't really pay attention to them, but generally they say stay off junk food and eat healthy.. which is probably good advice *anyway*), but I don't think that necessarily carries any relation to upset stomach.

Chin_Up
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Antman,

I regularly experiance an upset stomach due to stress but also believe it is related to my diet during these times, as I will binge on foods high in carbohydrates and sugars.

Do you follow a relatively healthy diet? If so, It may be the medication or stress. Would you consider trying a different medication to see if you don't experiance these side effects?

But if your like myself and find yourself eating unhealthy foods when your in a negative mind set, I would recommend trying to indroduce more raw fruits and vegetables. I personally love to drink them in juices and if you add a little ginger it seems to help ease my stomach problems.

I hope this is related to some of the things you are experiancing,

ChinUp.

Antman
Community Member

Geoff 

Thanks for your reply , Hope you are well

Good info. that I hadn't considered

Ant

Antman
Community Member

Thanks Michele for your post

My diet is fair. Certainly enjoy take away .....

drink Tea , no coffee

Frenchpastry

Thanks , It's certainly a possibility

Antman
Community Member

Thanks Chin Up

A great reply , the more I openly discuss & read about it , I feel stress is a major factor .

Have had massive panic attacks in the past & in the last 6 months they have come back infrequently .

Have had the same meds. since day 1 , higher dosage started about 5 years ago.

Enjoy your weekend