FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

First Week of sobriety

Debbie Downer
Community Member

Hello, 

Not sure what I'm wanting to achieve here or what kind of advice people can give me that I haven't already read but some reassurance would be nice I think. 

I am 11 days off drugs and its been a rollercoaster of emotion, my childhood trauma has come to the surface and I am faced with all these feelings I've been avoiding for over a decade. 

I want to stay strong and I want to be better so I am writing this as a way to vent and seek support from people that have experienced the same and got through it. 

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi Debbie Downer, 

Welcome to our friendly online community. We are so grateful that you decided to reach out here today as we know it can be really tough to do this for the first time. It’s a great step to have taken, and we’ll be here for you on this journey.  

Have you reached out to anyone about this? This could be a conversation with your GP or with any existing mental health support, or a chat with a loved one who you feel will be supportive in helping you to change this behaviour. It sounds like it would be really good to discuss this with are our friends at Counselling Online, who have some really good resources on Making a Change, here. There’s also the Beyond Blue helpline on 1300 22 4636, or on webchat if you’d prefer to speak to counsellor there. Our kind and understanding counsellors can talk this through with you and help you to figure out how you can get some support on the path to sobriety.  Other community members have previously mentioned Daybreak, the app, to be a useful resource. You can find out more about this here. 

Please know you can also talk to Blue Knot about this on 1300 657 380, every day between 9-5 (AEST). Their counsellors are experienced in working with people who have experienced complex trauma. They also have some resources on their website which could be useful to visit, particularly the pages on Survivors Self Care.  This is a judgment-free space, so please feel free to share, knowing that you'll be met with understanding. Hopefully a few of our welcoming community members will pop by soon to welcome you and offer some words of support and advice.  Kind regards,  Sophie M 

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Debbie Downer, can I first of all congratlate you on achieving such a difficult task, I know that it's certainly not easy, but truly you have done a fabulous job and you need to reminded for this, not only today but in the future.

It seems as though you may be suffering from PTSD, although I'm not a doctor to say.

If I can say that the people you have befriended who may also participate in these addictions are those who it would be a good idea to stay away from.

Now that may be difficult if you are reeally close, but once you stay off these drugs and can say no, then there is a chance you can be friends again, only if you can say no, however, while you are at this stage then try and stay away, just so there is no tempation.

The government have a site and I wish I could mention it but it comes up blue so this post won't come to you, but you also need extra help by talking with a drug counselor.

Are you able to get back to us and I will reply back to you tomorrow morning, and please take care.

Well done as I've stopped drinking alcohol.

Geoff.

Life Member.