FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Does "life Begin at 60"

meercat
Community Member

As the saying goes "life begins at 60"

Since turning 64 recently iv been wondering.. am i different since i hit 60...

Has your life changed since then?

Someone said the other day.."try to get to know yourself.. find out what you want to get out of life?"

Statistically iv got 29 years to find myself.. my dad's 93..

When we hit 60 where do we go..what do we do?

meercat xx

115 Replies 115

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Meercat, absolutely, for me it has greatly changed, enormously but all for the worse, unfortunately, nothing I can do about it. Geoff.

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Meercat

You have written a good thread topic here for sure...I am 57 and the future seems to somewhat blurry for me even though I am am an optimist

I know you might think this is silly but I just refuse to grow up....seriously. I will keep treating others as I like to be treated....and if I dont I really do deserve a kick in the butt....

My mum is 87 and still works hard in her yard. She also smokes a pack of 40 cigarettes a day and her lung function test is perfect. She drinks full cream milk and uses a 500gram of butter a week in her cooking..omg!

I am close to your thread demographic at 57 Meercat. I drive an XR8 Falcon Ute and and enjoying what I can on a day to day basis

I am not religious but if I may say....'bless your dad' at 93....what a legend!!

I know that Geoff has been in a very bad place for a while now. I will always consider myself fortunate

A very interesting and thoughtful thread topic Meercat. Great to have you as part the Beyond Blue family too!

My Kindest thoughts

Paul

Que_Sera
Community Member
Hi MeerCat I'm new just joined a few minutes ago, are you unhappy about your age?

meercat
Community Member

Im sorry to hear that its not been easy for you Geoff..

look at all the people you've helped!

10000 posts!!

And my kitchen cupboards look great...

mercat xx

An_Aging_Youngster
Community Member

Hi there meercat!

My life began six months ago, at age 64.

What happened? I discovered that I was of value to other people.

Oh, my body is in need of some major servicing: blood clot control, a heart that needs re-plumbing, and a total knee replacement, but those seem almost incidental.

And I empathise with Geoff.

Until next time ...

AAY

meercat
Community Member

Hi Paul.. yes, blury and scary.

Iv thought a lot about the future and age lately. Yes Im thinking about any age not just 60.

My Hubby and i often talk about our future. .travelling Australia in 12 yrs time. Retiring after 24 yrs in the same job making cement sleepers.

By then Il be almost 77, mum will be 100 eagerly waiting for her birthday greeting from the King. And your mum will be waiting for her birthday card the next year.

Wondering, what am i going to do til then. Im retired. And then i thought this morning.

When im 77 i might not be able to clamber up into an Outback Van..so i can drop that idea. My sight is bad so i wont be able to drive our lovely new Ford Ranger ute. And you will be 69 still be driving ur XR8!

H always says when our future plans go pear shaped.. lets go home to our own little circus and have a cup of tea. Sometimes that's all we can do.....

meercat xx

meercat
Community Member

Hi Que Sera welcome!

No probs with age. Just thinking about it.

Is ur name from the Doris Day song? One of my favs.

Cheers

meercat xx

Hey MC

being of a similar age (just for me) I couldnt retire at 77. I am so tired of 'managing' depression and some left over anxiety I am exhausted....(yes ....the man flu...lol)

You have a new Ford Ranger???.....That is a well built crew cab ute!....I wish!

I get it with the 'ability' to do things later in life....I am physically fit at 57 but there is way too much creaking of the bones/joints now that scares the hell out of me....I love driving...but my reflexes are no where near what they were in my 30's....not to mention driving a BF XR8 around.....

Like yourself I am just thinking about being 60+.....Its a hard call as I have been in management/corporate for many years....and am tired..I think...

Great post MC

Paul x

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Meercat, thankyou you're so sweet with your comments. Geoff. x