FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Do you play video games as a sort of therapy?

ScarlettR
Community Member

I had redeveloped my childhood hobby of playing games again. I often play games on my iPad or on my PS3 console.

This may sound obvious, but I believe playing video games has a long-term calming and positive effect on people suffering from mental illness.

For instance, I play Batman Arkham City, and has made my goal to complete the game. While I play the game, I'm not only focusing on the character and getting him complete levels, but also observing the setting and soundtrack and special effects. I don't spent too long playing the video game - maybe 30-45 minutes then I save and switch off and relax.

It helps me look at the past year in a rose-tinted way that is actually healthy and positive. In fact, I look at my past few years in a rose-tinted way so that way I can just remember the few main events, and not think about the times I was so depressed and anxious, I wouldn't leave the bed. In fact, I've made a decision that memories of my depressive days are of no use or relevance to me, and I will only focus on the few events that was good. Playing video games and the associated experience is one of them.

2 Replies 2

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi ScarlettR

Thank you for a great thread. Yes, I do play games - all sorts, video and sedentary (e.g.cards). It does keep me focussed and helps me to let go of any worries. I try to find 'calming', 'peaceful' games. No violence, no rapid movements, no timing - all these trigger me and make it difficult to settle.

I've always played some sort of game, used to be cards when I was younger, or did crossword puzzles, logic puzzles. All very therapeutic for me.

The one unfortunate thing is, I can get absorbed into a be doing it for hours. I'm not as disciplined as you. I'll try to be more so.

This is a good thread to have. As I really think it helps reduce the worry that goes with anxiety.

I'd like to hear what others think.

Kind regards

PamelaR

GalaticDan
Community Member

Hi ScarlletR.

Thanks for sharing yiur experience, Hope yiur enjoying yiur the game 😆. Ive been a gamer for a most of my life and i think its always been a sort of therapy. Getting lost in something you enjoy is part of the human experience i think. Im thrilled to hear you experience positive benfits from being immersed in somethung you enjoy. Ride that gravy train!

Im fortunate enough to have a home gym with a Crossfit style set up, after a feed i love playing some games. Please keep us updated on how games as therapy work for you.