FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Diet & Wellness

Travis_R
Community Member

Hi All,

I'm incredibly excited to be joining the Beyond Blue Forum and can't wait to get to know everyone as we connect now and into the future.

I wanted to jump in and ask how people feel their diet relates directly to their physical and mentall wellness and what stratgeies you may be putting in place to help with your Diet.
I am a big believer in having balance and setting goals to keep me on track.

Look forward to hearing everyones thoughts.

Take care, Trav

5 Replies 5

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Trav,

Welcome to the forums and I'm really glad you decided to join us!

This is a really great thread because diet (food) is so important for our health and yet we don't talk about it a lot here. I think it can be a bit of a daunting concept thinking about all the things we could/should do!

For me personally, I know there's a link and I feel it too - I can see that the way I eat impacts the way I feel - how some of my own bad days are not coincidentally the days I'm not eating enough vegetables, and how my brain feels better when I drink so much more water.

What are your own strategies? We also have a recipes thread in the Staying Well section which you're welcome to look at and add to if you like!

Looking forward to hearing back from you - I think we could all learn a little more 🙂

rt

KC12
Community Member

Hi Travis,

As romantic_thi3f mentioned, I also feel there's a link between what I eat and my wellbeing. I have been struggling with depression for years and although I manage to be stable for some periods of time, if I eat certain types of food I start feeling worse and wanting to eat more of those not-so-healthy goods, which ends up becoming a vicious circle.

In my personal experience I avoid junk food, fried food, etc but without a doubt what has a bigger impact on my mental health is the excess of sugar and processed carbs. I love food and I know a restrictive diet won't ever work for me so I am trying to focus on balance and what will work in the long run.

Not sure if you like to cook but with isolation I have a lot more time on my hands so I am really enjoying homemade meals and on weekends I try to do healthy versions of some typical takeaway food.

Happy to share some tips and what has worked for me.

🙂

Gambit87
Community Member

I too believe there's a link between diet and mental health.

If I go a few days without eating good healthy food, particularly veggies - I start feeling very 'meh'. I try to eat as little junk food as possible.

I have also cut down on my sugary drinks and drink more water.

Jasjit
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Travis,

I believe there is a direct correlation with one's diet to mental and physical wellbeing. When I became fully vegan, I completely changed. My cognitions were crystal clear as water. I was able to relate with the world and I automatically became compassionate towards the whole world. I believe when you don't consume animal-related products etc, there is a sudden change within one's internal chemistry! Plus exercising and meditating really helps to stay focused because everywhere there are ads and ads!

For me, there is only one strategy - I only eat whole foods - but also, as I am in fitness, I regularly have photoshoots that keep me motivated to achieve my short term goals.

Hope that helps.

CyP
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hey-llo 🙂

Yes yes yes ! Diet, gut, brain, mind, body, wellbeing are all interlinked.

We have changed 3 things in our household and we felt those habits have made a real positive impact.

1. Cut down refined sugar and refined carbs. We still have a piece of nice toast from time to time but we keep it to a small piece , and freeze them when we can't finish the whole loaf

2. We have more plant food in dinners and we have them earlier. Its easier on the stomach and we don't go to bed with a gut full of food.

3. This is a personal one .... no cheese before bed - I don't know ow why but they seem to give me weird dreams ... !!

Stay well everyone x