FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping mechanisms

Cathazard
Community Member

Hello everyone, I hope we're all coping well...

I wanted to ask about everyone's way of coping with overwork. I'm currently working my first full time job and ive struggled with bipolar my whole life. I feel like I'm not coping with the work load and although I'm not depressed yet, it could easily go that way. I'm really anxious and work odd hours during uni semesters to be available to take my little autistic brother to a night class. It means I only get one day off a week which is really wearing me out... im getting super emotional, I sleep my free time away and I dream constantly about being at work. I'm just tired... financially I can't afford to cut back my work load so I'm going back on my anti anxiety medication but I was wondering if anyone is in a similar situation and can offer some advice on how they cope with it all? 

Thank you! 

CH

2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Cathhazard, welcome here to Beyond Blue

Touched a raw nerve this topic with me. Doctors will tell anyone with a mental illness that they need their sleep at least 8 hours a night. Shift work through my experience in security work is near impossible to cope especially on medication.

For you Cathazard its a balancing act and you really put your health at risk by not having some relaxation time ....rest. The result will likely be "burnout" or what seems that anyway. We will MI tend to run at a million iles an hour trying to chase the next challenge, find satisfaction from completing all the tasks only for another task arrive so soon.

I'm worried for you about the risks you might not see clearly at this point. On the other hand having insight that you have is a big plus. As some say "prevention is better than cure" and your anxiety....well best to pull out all stops so depression doesnt slip in through the windows.

Having said that your dedication to your brother is remarkable. Your post however reads that time is not able to be saved anywhere. If that is so then you need to harness this one day a week for full recovery of the other taxing days of the week. Plan that day well. Squeeze in all shopping and errands during the week knowing that your free day is filled with rest, sleepins and activity you want to do. Maybe a little study but not too much. Chill out with friends etc.

Make use of that free day.

Finally remember, circumstances change. In 2-3 years things will be different in all ways. So its not long term.

Tony WK

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi CH,

Thanks for reaching out to BB.

It sounds a bit like you might be pulling yourself in every direction and it's really good that you've identified that before it starts to get a bit out of control.  What is it exactly that's making you feel overworked?  Is it because there are too many things to do, or that it just feels overwhelming, or that it's too tricky?  I think that figuring out what's behind the overwork can help knuckle down.

Sometimes for me it might be just identifying that I have too much to do; so I tend to make lots of lists and schedules so that I don't feel bombarded.  Sometimes' learning to streamline jobs can help you work more efficiently like bundling tasks or using computing systems, or even dedicating jobs to other people.  It might help to chat to your boss/manager to work out some good strategies that you can both use to help manage your workload.  Another option might be to chat to your uni support team - like a student support officer.  Perhaps only taking one module instead of two or talking about extensions might help you feel a little bit more in control.

Good luck 🙂