FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

KatDT
Community Member

Hey all,

Since Sydney has opened up I have started to feel really uneasy about this whole covid thing. I have to go there for work and while I'm double vaxed and always wearing a mask, I can't get rid of this feeling like no matter how careful I am, I am going to get it, spread it to my loved ones and cause a lot of harm.

I only leave the house for work, and even then I can't concentrate. I'm super focused on how my throat feels and like hyper aware of how my body feels and if I'm getting sick.

I had a test yesterday for peace of mind (negative thank god!) but another person that was there was a close contact! I'm freaking out. I can't help but blame myself now because in getting peace of mind, I potentially made things much worse.

Idk this whole thing just scares me so much. I just need someone who can relate I guess? Someone to tell me I'm not crazy? Idk. I'm sorr for the word dump, I'm not doing well with this whole thing now.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello KatDT, & welcome to the forum

It looks to me you are doing everything you can to take care of yourself, & thinking of people you care about.

Being anxious about anything does not mean you are crazy. I do think this level of anxiety might be getting on top of you, & perhaps, you would consider talking to someone? A chat with your GP would be a good place to start. Or perhaps calling BB's own Counselling Service,on 1300 22 46 36.

Each thing you have done has helped to decrease the likelihood of you either catching or spreading COVID-19. Indeed, only going out to work leaves you with a very restricted life. which can have detrimental effects, too. It's for this reason, I think it is time for seeking professional help.

If you read some of the posts in this thread, you'll see many people have had their struggles throughout this pandemic, & many have anxiety of one sort or another. I've had my own, too, but not much like you are experiencing. As a result though, I have been staying home a lot, have changed how I do some things, & only recently have I felt I need to break out of this hold my concern has on me. Little by little, I intend to get myself out more again. I've got lots of info, (my brain doesn't recall neatly or quickly, but it is there), & rationally understand the risk to or from anyone is very, very, very, low. That's one important thing I keep in mind.

All the best, & I hope we speak again.

mmMekitty

Added
Community Member

Hi mmMekitty, I think you have some really good points in your message, but I don't understand you saying that the risk to or from anyone is very very very low... here in Melbourne (and Sydney to a lesser extent than Melbourne) we have thousands of community transmissions, and there would be so many cases out there not detected, so I feel the risk is not low at all? Can you explain in more detail why you think the risk is so low? Thank you :)))

amyness
Community Member

Hello,

I’m struggling to come to terms with living in a Covid world. Last year I suffered a mental health crisis (anxiety) and broke down. I was terrified of getting Covid and dying. I couldn’t function, even to the point of being unable to eat or sleep. I was constantly calling Lifeline and BeyondBlue for some peace of mind.

My support network was disbanded. My closest friends didn’t care any more as they had their own issues and eventually ended our friendship. My partner was having a difficult time also and we decided it would be better for me to stay with my family in my childhood home. My family, however, became zombies and were unable to deal with the situation also. It was total denial to them. The Covid situation and the fact that I was so unwell. They let me stay with them but just left me to myself. I even told my mother I wanted to complete suicide and she hardly paid attention. Luckily my partner was supportive and spoke fiercely to my mother. She still didn’t seem to get what was happening but she did as a I asked and helped me to calm down.

I left the house suddenly as my father has borderline personality disorder and began verbally attacking me and stating that I deserved to be abused by my ex partner. I told him to never speak to me again and since I have had a very hard time dealing with any members of my family. I went back to living with my partner and everything was okay for a time as it seemed Covid was at bay but this year has taken a huge toll. We moved to a regional area but still suffered through lockdowns and being away from everything we knew and family and friends we cared for.

I’m just constantly afraid that it will all happen again and I’m extremely reluctant to get the vaccine even though I’m in a higher risk category because of all the lies and poor management of the Covid situation.

I have somewhat of a support network but I rely heavily on my now fiancé and I hate burdening him. I have two friends I am still in contact with but I am nervous to share my real concerns with them after what happened with others I thought were my dearest friends. I’m just feeling very lost and hopeless right now 😞

Thanks for reading 💜

Hi Shelly and thank you for your reply.

It's almost a relief not to be alone feeling angry and powerless even if I wish you didn't have to experience those feelings too.

Your last post about hiding and retreating into yourself I relate to also. If it wasn't for my kids and hubby I'm pretty sure I'd move deep into the wheatbelt and stay there. I'm sick and tired of the whole world right now.

You're right about finding small positives. Last week I was trying the same thing. The kids and I stopped for an emu on the road and I pulled off just so we could watch it up close. We were a few minutes late for school but really who cares. We loved it.

Hope you can find small blessings today.

Hi amyness,

Sorry to read you have had such a struggle and an unsettling time. The last couple of years have been so different to anything many of us have experienced.

It is hard when we feel lost and hopeless. I know when I am struggling, it is hard to put strategies and activities in place that will help. Do you have some ideas on what may help you through this?

Many people have their own views on all situations on life, it can be hard to recognise another person's feelings and acceptance of a situation. Sometimes friends and family can only support us so much as they may also have their own battles.

You mentioned calling Beyond Blue and Lifeline, I do the same thing when I need to.

I also find it helps sometimes to write down what I am thinking in a notebook, then at the end I try to write down three things I am thankful for.

Regards to you from Dools

Hi Quercus,

Thanks for sharing a bit of the real world with us, stopping to watch an emu is wonderful.

Walking in to work some days, instead of thinking about "who is going to yell at me today because they don't like the Covid rules?" I stop to smell the roses in the garden out the front.

Hi Mrs D 😊,

Glad you enjoyed the emu story. I like that you stop and smell the flowers and glad that you enjoyed the moment.

Being yelled at is the absolute pits, there is no excuse for it. Another reason I'd struggle to work in customer service again (I'd probably get fired for standing up for myself) 😂.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Added, & KatDT,

I messed up my attempt to reply yesterday, so I’m trying again. I spent some time looking for some data, some evidence, but there are so many variables from person to person, that in the end I decided it was not going to be possible for me to prove my sense of what I think is right. Please, bear in mind, my memory is crap, but I have been following along with the new information as it came in. Very hard to really keep up. I am no professional anything. Interested, but not an expert.

It simply seems so logical to me, that if we all do one of the things recommended, the risk of infection & transmission goes down. If we do two of those things, the risk lowers more. If we do another, & another, the risk lowers still more, & this is for the benefit of all.

The more of us doing as much as we can, the greater protection to the entire community.
I just wanted to underscore this for KatDT. You care so much, & are doing so much, I feel sure you are at a very, very slight risk, & being fully vaccinated, you have significantly reduced your chance of becoming very ill with COVID-19, if you did get it.

I’m more concerned about the level of your anxiety, thinking, it has begun to dominate your life, & you are under a lot of stress as a result. Are you talking to anyone about your anxiety? Would you give BB counsellors a call on 1300 22 46 36.?

I’m sorry if I haven’t written clearly enough.

mmMekitty

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Amyness, & welcome. I am glad you have found us.

You really have been going through a lot. I’m sorry it has been so difficult for you, & people you have had around you haven’t been able to be as supportive as you need.
For various reasons, responses to our needs might not be as we hope. It’s very hurtful how some people react. I’m glad you keep trying.

You & your partner, you have each other.

You mention calling telephone helplines. & they are fine for what they can offer. However, because this is going on so long, it may be time to have a chat with your GP about finding more support for your mental health.

&, you’re always welcome to talk here on BB.

mmMekitty